Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Barber" (S5, E8)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.

seinbarber

Best Character

Man, lots to love here but I will go with Uncle Enzo. His passion and fire was unmatched and his detective skills are amazing. I still use "IT'S ENZO MANGANARO" to this day when I knock on a door. It is a relatable story too, poor bastard. Jerry and Gino were top notch here as well.

Best Storyline

Easily the haircut stuff. Between Jerry's absurd hack job, the torrid affair between Gino and Jerome, Enzo's sleuthing and discovery of the betrayal and Newman getting shaved clean, what is not to love? One of my favorite storylines of the season by far.

Ethical Dilemma of the Week

Who is Mr. Tuttle to determine if someone is Penske material? Only Arthur Penske should make that sort of determination, and he clearly did. Unless your last name is Penske, mind your business when it comes to hiring talent for Penske Enterprises.

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

Gino and Jerry...relationship name...Gerry. Kramer made the match and it was instant sparks and love at first sight. From the first time Gino's scissor brushed a wisp of Jerry's hair to their first official date watching Edward Scissorhands, it was forever meant to be. Relationship Grade: 10/10

What Worked:

The sodomy line is a little edgy by Jerome; George's interview situation is perfect Costanza, that could only happen to him; Jerry's haircut is pretty amazing; George's pan is really enjoyable, including taking the smaller office; The Penske File is the only file; Elaine's burst of laughter at Jerry's hair was perfectly executed and felt very real, which it probably was; I love the ongoing, never-ending Edward Scissorhands debate; I enjoyed the Barber of Seville music used between and during scenes in this episode, it fit and was a nice break; The haircut at Gino's apartment paralleling an affair was tremendous; I love that Enzo recognizes Jerry's hair; Newman's "A little crooked" line always makes me chuckle; Newman feigning having to piss and then trying to snag Jerry's hair was great too; Kramer on the runway with Elaine desperately selling him is phenomenal; IT'S AH ENZO MANGANARO!; Great payoff with Jerry scalping Newman

What Didn't Work

George having to kill a full work day with no distractions makes me nauseous

Key Character Debuts

Mr. Tuttle
Arthur Penske
Uncle Enzo Manganaro
Gino Manginero

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "Well George we here at Sanalac like to think of ourselves as a fairly progressive company. We have a small but prestigious group of clients." - Mr. Tuttle "Well a lot of people consider me small and prestigious." - George
- "I want you to have this job, of course sodomy is a prerequisite." - Jerry
- "And you didn't ask me to do it? I could raise enough money to cure polio." - Kramer "I believe they've had a cure for polio for quite some time." - Jerry "Polio?" - Kramer
- "You tell the joke, I cut the hair." - Uncle Enzo
- "No way my Gino did that. It's an Enzo." - Kramer
- ""Oh, ah, let's see, we've got two. There's a big one down the hall there and a small one over here. You know I should ask Jack." - Mike "Oh leave Jack alone. Jack's got enough problems. I'll just take the small office." - George
- "So I love the Edward Scissorhands. That's the best movie I've ever seen." - Gino "Oh ah, again with the Edward Scissorhands. How can you have hand like scissors, huh? Show me one person who's got hand like scissors." - Enzo "Hey, it's a beautiful dream. I'd love to be this man." - Gino "Did you ever think about what you're going to do on the toilet? What are you going to do on the toilet?" - Enzo "I'd like to have shoehorn hands." - Kramer
- "Boy, you've got a beautiful head of hair." - Gino "Thank you." - Jerry "I bet uncle Enzo, he tell you that all the time." - Gino "Well actually Enzo hasn't said that to me in a while." - Jerry
- "You do haircut in the apartment?" - Enzo "No. Pizza man was here. Maybe some fall off. He's going bald." - Gino
- "Jerry, the auction is in a few hours." - Elaine "Take the K-Man." - Jerry "You can still go." - Elaine "What are you kidding? Look at him. He's grotesque." - Kramer "You think?" - Elaine "Do I think? He's repugnant." - Kramer
- "You happy with the haircut?" - Enzo "It's okay. A little crooked." - Newman
- "Okay next bachelor is number, um 124 on your program. He's uh, he's a high school graduate." - Elaine "Equivalent." - Kramer "Oh, uh equivalency. A high school equivalency program graduate. He's uh, self-employed. He's...I don't know, six foot three, 190 pounds, he likes, uh... fruit, and he just got uh, a haircut...Okay uh, why don't we start the bidding. Do I hear, uh, five bucks?" - Elaine
- "You're not Penske material." - Tuttle "Well, we'll just see about that. Ta-ta, Tut-tle." - George

Oddities & Fun Facts

- The soundtrack from this episode is from the "Barber of Seville"

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

Hot damn, I love this episode. It has some great quotes, memorable moments and a hilarious main storyline buttressed by two really funny subplots. George's employment snafu was really well developed and executed and Kramer's strut down the catwalk is great too. Enzo and Gino were fantastic and Jerry played the confused, stuck in the middle lover to perfection. Newman as the henchman was a great choice too. "IT'S ENZO MANGANARO! This episode is easily Penske material. Final Grade: 8/10

Comments