Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Beard" (S6, E16)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.

seinbeard

*** Episodes 14 & 15 of Season Six were a two part clip show special to commemorate Episode 100.***

Best Character

A nice strong bounce back here by the whole crew. Everyone was on point but I thought this was Elaine's episode from start to finish. I loved her tormenting of George the whole way through, right up until her chucking the wig out of the window to end George's run as a narcissist. Then she had a killer performance at the opera, nearly turned Robert and then summed everything up beautifully to close it out. Nice work, Lainey.

Best Storyline

I won't necessarily say it is the best, but Jerry's issues with admitting his Melrose fandom is one of my favorite all time storylines. The absurdity is ripe but it is so damn relatable, especially to a lifelong wrestling and 90210 fan. I went through the same issues with both right around the time this aired, so I felt Jerome's pain. Also, the lie detector scene is brilliance. "Did Jane's finance kidnap Sydney and take her to Las Vegas? And if so, did she enjoy it?"

Ethical Dilemma of the Week

If you know an acquaintance has a preference that differs from your own, should you try to sway them to look away from their very being to acquiesce your sexual desires? Why the hell not. But only once their proclivities have been generally known. Convincing one to hide who they are for your own gratification would be quite wrong.

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

JT: Sex. Shopping. Opera. Melrose Place. Bald. What more do you need? Relationship Grade: 10/10

What Worked:

Elaine failing at chopsticks was a solid little open; The Beard premise is a good, original sitcom story; I like Kramer's ongoing obsession with Chinese that always pops up; George's super wig-fueled confidence; Geogre and Elaine dueling was great; Kramer is a good egg; Kramer dictating the sketch artist is pure Kramer; Nice call back for George with the pouty lips too; Elaine's sell job to Robert's boss topped by the huge kiss was great; The euphemism discussion with the teams and equipment was cute; Jerry trolling poor George about not mentioning his toupee to Denise; The lineup scene always makes me laugh, with Kramer turning the wrong way and doing the smirk and dance; As a lifelong wrestling fan, I enjoyed Jerry dodging admitting his love for Melrose Place; Jerry shaking the drink was good; George's "SHE'S BALD" is an epic line and that whole scene is an all timer, capped with Elaine chucking the rug; The homeless guy finding the wig and getting Kramer booked is a great payoff; Elaine's Rick Rude celebration dance; The lie detector scene is so damn good; George getting dumped by the bald woman; Awesome payoff at the end with the crew all watching Melrose Place together; Kramer telling the lineup regular to "straighten up and fly right" was good

What Didn't Work

Lou needs a haircut; Uncle Rico stealing the Tupperware is a pretty dick move; Tierney has a really weird delivery and cadence; Jerry's pants on fire line was cringeworthy; So does Jerry tape Melrose Place or is he just never hanging with his friends during that time every week in this pre-DVR world?

Key Character Debuts

N/A

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "No, I never realized what an attractive man he is. He is a looker, that one." - George
- "You look ridiculous in that thing." - Elaine "Is that so? Or could it be that you're just a *little* bit worried that you may have missed the boat?" - George
- "You know I just thought of something. I know this gorgeous woman, she called me up this morning, she's moving into the city, and she asked me if I know of anyone she could meet. Now you can go out with her." - Kramer "Well what about me?" - Jerry "No I think he's got you beat buddy." - Kramer
- "Where did the Chinese learn to cook like that?" - Homeless Man
- "Well believe me this didn't happen overnight. Robert's not exactly a *one* *woman* *man*, if you know what I mean. No sirree Bob. Sure, I mean in a lot of ways, he's a typical guy, he likes his sports, but he counters that side with the side you see here tonight at the ballet, or the pleasure he gets in watching Ms. Liza Minelli belt out a few choice numbers. It's those two halves of his personality that just come together to make him the very special guy that he is." - Elaine
- "And we discover yet another talent. Posing as a girlfriend for homosexuals." - Jerry
- "Because when you join that team it's not a whim. He likes his team. He's set with that team." - Jerry "We've got a good team." - Elaine "Yeah, we do. We do have a good team." - Jerry "Why can't he play for us?" - Elaine "They're only comfortable with *their* equipment." - Jerry "We just got along *so* great." - Elaine "Of course you did. Everyone gets along great when there's no possibility of sex." - Jerry
- "I knew this was going to happen. I just made a delicious casserole, but now it won't keep because I have no Tupperware." - Kramer "What about a plastic bag?" - Jerry "You must be kidding." - Kramer "What is the difference?" - Jerry "The patented burp, Jerry. It locks in freshness." - Kramer
- "Are you kidding? I could spot that bird's nest two blocks away." - Jerry
- "You mean this whole time we could have been discussing Sydney and Michael and Jane..." - Elaine "And Billy and Jake and Allison, yes we could have discussed it." - Jerry
- "Hey you know what? I have access to one of the most deceitful, duplicitous, deceptive minds of our time. Who better to advise me?" - Jerry
- "How so? I'll tell you how so. She's bald!" - George "What do you mean bald?" - Elaine "What do you think I mean bald? Bald. Bald bald." - George "She's bald?" - Jerry "She's bald." - George "Oh come on." - Elaine "Oh come on? No come on. She took off her hat and there she was...hello. It was like I was looking at myself in the mirror." - George "Well maybe she got a haircut or something." - Elaine "Let me tell you something. No one walks into a beauty parlor and says "Give me the Larry Fine."" - George
- "I tell you, when she threw that toupee out the window, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I feel like my old self again. Totally inadequate, completely insecure, paranoid, neurotic, it's a pleasure." - George "Good to have you back." - Jerry "And you know what else I've decided to do? I'm going to keep seeing the bald woman." - George "She's as good as anybody else." - Jerry "Her scalp was clean. She had a nice skull. There just wasn't a lot of hair on it." - George "Yeah you've had like a religious awakening. You're like a bald-again." - Jerry
- "Jerry, just remember. It's not a lie... if you believe it." - George
- "Well it's a lesson for the kids out there. Anything's possible. Jeromy, I have *hit* the jackpot. The perfect man. Nothing but sex and shopping." - Elaine
- "Did Jane sleep with Michael again?" - Cop "Yes! That stupid idiot. He left her for Kimberly, he slept with her sister. He tricked her into giving him half her business, and then she goes ahead and sleeps with him again. I mean she's crazy. How could she do something like that? Oh that Jane, she makes me so mad." - Jerry
- "Well here's the thing. Being a woman, I only really have access to the, uh... equipment, what, thirty, forty-five minutes a week. And that's on a good week. How can I be expected to have the same expertise as people who *own* this equipment, and have access to it twenty-four hours a day, their entire lives." - Elaine "You can't. That's why they lose very few players." - Jerry
- "Oh that Michael, I hate him, he's just so smug." - Jerry

Oddities & Fun Facts

- John Gries plays the homeless man; He is better known as Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite and many other films and TV roles

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

Ah, it is good to be back. After a blip last week, the goodness returns here with one of my favorites of the season. Things cruised along and all of the storylines were pretty unique and each had nice payoffs as well. The Melrose stuff was so good and I crack up at the lie detector scene every damn time I see it. "I hate that Michael, he is so smug" was a go to line for me for years. The delivery of it was so damn good. Also, Elaine was dominant and backed right up by the rest of the crew as well. Lots of classic stuff here, especially the scene where George reveals Denise was bald and Elaine snaps and ends the charade once and for all. She certainly earned the right to do that Rick Rude swivel dance. 'YOU'RE BALD!"  Final Grade: 8/10

seinbald

Comments