Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Blood" (S9, E4)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.



Best Character

I liked Kramer the most here. He had some real funny lines and physical comedy throughout this one. His buried conversation enders are so good, especially slipping in that Newman was sleeping in Jerry's bed. I also loved the delivery of his "for a fat man" line to Jerry. He was on his game in this one.

Best Storyline

I liked the blood the most. Jerry was annoying at points by being such an ungrateful bitch but he had some good dismissive lines and watching battle the Mandelbaums again was well done. And like I said above, I really enjoyed Kramer and this was the story he lived in for most of the episode. The meat sex stuff had funny moments but not much of a story to it and the Elaine stuff was fine too but didn't have as many laughs.

Ethical Dilemma of the Week

If someone saves your life, you should probably not be a dick to them as soon as later that day.

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

Kramer and Jerry, finally brought together by blood. A love made official. Relationship Grade: 3 Pints of Kramer/10

What Worked:

The plum diet seems like a good one; I always mark out for Morty saying "Mister Kramer"; Jerry's point about responsibility is good one; George's bus transfer excuse made me laugh; Jerry and George's conversation about George bailing on Tara was really funny; Kramer going all in on calling Jerry fat in various ways was great; I enjoyed Elaine shoving Kramer into the bushes and smacking him with the broom as he yelped; I liked the payoff with the exacto knife, it was set up well earlier in the episode; Kramer demonstrating how he would rip out his kidney was great; Canadian Parliament; Newman sneaking in to watch the movie; Izzy putting the hurting on Jerry with his training was well done; the sausage making scene is a classic; Jerry calling George "Caligula"; Newman giving Jerry his blood was a good capper

What Didn't Work

Tara saying "love making", eh; Jerry being so insanely afraid of Kramer's blood was a bit much, just way too over the top; someone should pull a President Lincoln on that kid; I also thought Jerry was really ungrateful for Kramer's blood, dude saved your life... stop being a bitch; who fucks a random at their kids' birthday party?; The Izzy voiceovers at the end were terrible; why is Jimmy wearing that hat? Is it 1954?

Key Character Debuts

- Vivian

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "That's why we joined a program. We walk once around the block three times a week." - Helen "And every morning I eat a plum." - Morty
- "Did you give blood?" - Jerry "No, not giving. hoarding. I'm storing it in to a blood bank. Just in case." - Kramer "In case of what?" - Jerry "Jerry, I know myself. If I'm out on the street and it's starts to go down, I don't back off until it's finished." - Kramer
- "I know, I'm glad I got to see him before he hit puberty and got, you know all lurchy and awkward." - Elaine
- "Who wants to responsible? When ever anything goes wrong, the first thing they ask is: who's responsible for this?" - Jerry
- "So, she didn't appreciate the erotic qualities of the salted cured meats?" - Jerry "She tolerated the strawberries and the chocolate sauce, but eh, it's not a meal, you know? Food and sex, those are my two passions. It's only natural to combine them." - George
- "Maybe instead of trying to satisfy two of your needs, how about satisfying one of somebody else's." - Jerry
- "You know, for a fat guy you're not very jolly." - Kramer
- "You? I'm more responsible than you are!" - Elaine "Don't be ridiculous. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go to fill my freezer with my own blood." - Kramer
- "Oh yeah, you've got three pints of Kramer in you, buddy." - Kramer
- "She's right, I heard Kramer got mugged out on the suburbs on a baby-sitting gig." - Kramer
- "So, my blood is not enough. Would you like a kidney too, because I'll give it to you? I'll rip it out right here and stack it on the table!" - Kramer
- "So, the free love buffet is over?" - Jerry "I got greedy. Flew too close to the sun on wings of pastrami." - Jerry "Yeah, that's what you did...I can't believe I got another session with Izzy Mandelbaum, he's probably makes me box a kangaroo." - Jerry
- "All right, Even Steven. Oh, by the way, when you get back to your apartment try to keep it down because Newman is taking a nap in your bed." - Kramer
- "Yes it is. I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?" - Vivian

Oddities & Fun Facts

- Lloyd Bridges was nominated for an Emmy for his role as Izzy Mandelbaum

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

This wasn't the strongest episode we have watched and did fade at the end but there is some quality dialogue peppered all through this one. It is definitely an episode carried on the back of actors that know their characters and relationships on a top notch, deep level because it was often the timing and delivery that made the big lines pop. The Mandelbaum return was a nice surprise but that really just kind of ends too, as do all of the stories here. Nothing quite paid off in a satisfying way. Also, that stupid fucking hat that Vivian's kid had on was obnoxious. Fuck him. I am off to box a kangaroo. Final Grade: 6/10

Comments