Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Bubble Boy" (S4, E7)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.

Vlcsnap-2010-12-15-09h07m17s48_png_627x325_crop_upscale_q85

Best Character

I have to go with Jerry here, even though everyone was a candidate across the board, right down to the Bubble Boy's mother. But Jerry, between not giving a shit about the Bubble Boy and his growing frustration along the way with everyone in the way of his vacation, he was just a tour de force. And it boils over so badly that he gets into a war over a stupid autographed picture that is hanging on the wall of some random podunk diner. And it is all topped off by Jerry wishing the Bubble Boy a jovial happy birthday as he is wheeled out on a stretcher.

Best Storyline

The Bubble Boy. No doubter here. I love the tease that it is some poor little boy with no friends and a sad, lonely life when in reality it is an adult asshole living behind a plastic sheet, torturing his parents. Tremendous twist. Everything about the storyline was top notch, from the initial coffee shop description, to the awkward scene of George and Susan sitting with the Sangers, to the trivial pursuit game to the popping of the bubble. Donald was an awesome piece of shit, demanding to see Susan's tits and rubbing his trivial pursuit prowess in everyone's faces. Great stuff.

Ethical Dilemma of the Week

Should Jerry have played his answering machine in front of Naomi? It was a ballsy move to do in front of someone he just met. What is the urgency to play it right then and there and take the risk? Maybe he should move it to his bedroom? The plight of a non voicemail era. Also, despite wanting to make good time, George really should have kept an eye on Jerry while on the road. Big caravan faux pas.

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

It looks Jerry may have become Naomi's Svengali the way she comes crawling back after the laugh remark. She may be up for anything...and you know, Susan is quite the minx, ready to get down wherever and whenever. Relationship Grade: Swingers/10

What Worked

Jerry avoiding all funny things to keep Naomi from laughing is awesome; The answering machine screwup was great; I have always loved George and Jerry rattling off the types of pies as well as Jerry's brutally unfunny pun autographs; The Bubble Boy; Jerry using the napkin to wipe his mouth as Mel and Elaine cried has always made me laugh out loud; I love all of the discussion of the type of bubble and plastic that goes down; George speeding to make good time and basically ignoring Jerry behind him is both tremendous and frustrating at the same time; Jerry obsessed with missing out on the vacation while Elaine is concerned with the Bubble Boy, culminating with Elaine popping the bubble gum; I love Elaine taking delight in Jerry's misfortune with the shitty autographs; Moops!; Kramer falling through the window of the cabin is just perfect; Kramer burning down the cabin and George asking for the toll change brings this one to a super strong finish.

What Didn't Work

For some reason it feels like they are going out of there way to bring up stuff that happened earlier in the season in a real obvious way; Jerry was an idiot for not taking the directions to the cabin and relying on following George; I also don't get why George didn't pull off and wait for him to catch up; Susan is a brutally bad dresser; How the hell did George and Jerry beat the fire trucks to the cabin?

Key Character Debuts

Mel Sanger
Donald Sanger
Mrs. Sanger

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "I thought you liked to laugh. I thought you were happy go lucky." - Naomi "No, nah, I'm not happy and I'm not lucky, and I don't go. If anything I'm sad stop unlucky." - Jerry
- "That's not funny Naomi. I didn't mean to be funny there. Why don't you check the TV guide. I think Holocaust is on." - Jerry
- "Well, it's better anyway. I mean really. What was going to happen? I'm a comedian. How can I go out with a girl with a laugh like that? It's like Coco Chanel goin' out with a fish monger. Cause she's with all the perfumes and a fish mongers a pretty bad smell." - Jerry
- "Well, they got any golf courses up there?" - Kramer "No, no, no, no." - Jerry & George "That's pie country." - George
- "I'm very impressed" - Jerry's autograph for his dry cleaner
- "My name's Sanger, mel Sanger. I drive that truck out there." - Mel "Oh, the Yoo-Hoo? I love Yoo-Hoo." - Jerry "It's a fine product." - Mel
- "Excuse me, anyway we were watching you on TV" - Mel "You get in the bubble with him?" - Jerry "No. He can see through the bubble. It's plastic." - Mel "Oh, I thought it was like an igloo." - Jerry "No, it's clear. - Mel
- "So anyway, you're his favorite comedian. He laughed so hard the other night we had to give him an extra shot of hemoglobin." - Mel
- The use of "Bubble Boy" becomes iconic after this episode
- "So, what kind of a bubble? Like an igloo?" - Susan "No, that's what I thought but apparently it's just a big piece of plastic dividing the room." - Jerry "Oh" - Susan "What kind of plastic do you think it is? What do you think like that dry cleaning plastic?" - George "That's no good. He wouldn't last ten minutes in there." - Jerry
- "Stop, would you quit it. Maybe someone is going to see us here." - George "So what? You are SUCH a prude." - Susan "Hey, I am not a prude sweetheart. I swing with the best of them." - George
- "Why do you keep bringing up the Bubble Boy. You don't have to mention the Bubble Boy? You don't have to mention the Bubble Boy. I know about the Bubble Boy. I'm aware of the Bubble Boy. Why do you keep reminding me about the Bubble Boy?" - Jerry
- "HEY MA WHAT THE HELL DO I GOT TO DO TO GET SOME FOOD AROUND HERE? I'M STARVIN'. AND IF IT'S PEANUT BUTTER, I'LL SHOVE IT IN YOUR FACE." - Bubbly Boy
- "Nothin's finer than being in your diner." - Jerry's autograph for the waitress
- "Course I have. Come on. My cousin's in a bubble. My friend Jeffrey's uh, sister, also ... you know ...bubble. I got a lot of bubble experience. Come on." - George
- The Moops vs. Moors argument is an all time classic pantheon level line
- "OK, HISTORY. THIS IS FOR THE GAME. HOW YA DOIN' OVER THERE? NOT TOO GOOD!" - Bubble Boy "All right Bubble Boy. Let's just play... Who invaded Spain in the 8th century?" - George "THAT'S A JOKE. THE MOORS." - George "Oh, Noooo, I'm so sorry. It's the MOOPS. The correct answer is, The MOOPS." - Bubble Boy "MOOPS? LET ME SEE THAT. THAT'S NOT MOOPS YOU JERK, IT'S MOORS. IT'S A MISPRINT." - Bubble Boy "I'm sorry the card says MOOPS." - George "IT DOESN'T MATTER. I'S THE MOORS. THERE'S NO MOOPS." - Bubble Boy "It's MOOPS." - George "MOORS." - Bubble Boy "MOOPS." - George "MOORS!" - Bubble Boy
- "But that lake must be freezing." - Naomi "Nah, it's good for ya'. Retards the aging process." - Kramer
- "IT'S MY FATHER'S CABIN!"- Susan "The CABIN is on fire!" - Elaine "I just realized. Ya never gave me back the change from the toll." - George
- "My Cubans!" - Kramer

Oddities & Fun Facts

- Mel Sanger is portrayed by Brian Doyle-Murray
- George gets the blame, but Susan is actually the one that popped the Bubble

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

Instant all time legendary classic. Not a second thought given. It is riddled with iconic quotes and moments and never lets up. It brought us three all time memorable lines that became part of pop culture with "Bubble Boy", "Moops" and "My Cubans!" It furthered along the torturing of Susan by Kramer and help get Elaine reestablished as well. Plus, the fucking Bubble Boy! What a dick. And what an awesome episode. Final Grade: 10/10

Comments