Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Cheever Letters" (S4, E8)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.

960

Best Character

Jerry and George take this in a tie for me. Their timing was impeccable throughout this one, nailing quick lines and playing off each other in a masterful way. Toss in Jerry's sexy talk and George's scenes with Rosses and they just flat out dominated this one.

Best Storyline

The Cheever Letters just for that one scene in the apartment alone. It was pure magic and so well done, right down to douchebag entitled Ricky acting like he was nine years old and sassing his mother. Epic scene and then Jerry's line about having read some of Cheever's works clinched it.

Ethical Dilemma of the Week

Should Elaine have been so obvious about Jerry's disdain when she talked to Sandra? What was up with that? It was about as obvious as it gets. And then, what was Jerry's obligation to help make things right? Elaine makes him call her and then stands by as he is roped into a date...and then keeps following Jerry's advice and gets pissed at him at each stop. She caps it by swindling him out of $400. I mean, it comes across as genius but still. Dick move.

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

The Rosses. Misery. Henry & John? Magic. Life. Spirit. Crippling orgasms. The Cabin. Relationship Grade: 0/10; 10/10

What Worked

George having to explain that the cabin burned down to Susan's parents during their first meeting is perfect; George hating on Jerry's Bic pens always makes me laugh; The procrastination and trouble with writing is very relatable and well done; I always felt bad that they made Kramer feel bad for interrupting their writing even though they were sleeping, but it is topped by Kramer telling George to ask Susan's father for more cigars;  The whole Ross Family dinner scene is so awkwardly fantastic and George was working so hard to get over; Jerry's disdain with Elaine while calling Sandra was funny, especially when he stops her from eating the pretzels; Jerry being a really dirty talker is a funny turn for him; George squirting the ketchup while Jerry tells him the bawdy talk story is great; Jerry & George begging Kramer to stay the second time was good; Kramer at the Cuban consulate; The Cheever Letter discovery scene is one of my favorites in the show's history, especially the demonstration of time; Elaine playing Jerry and getting him to pay for his phone bill and then nailing the panties line was a great close

What Didn't Work

How did Mr. Ross not find out about the cabin before they tell him here? Wouldn't the authorities have notified him since he was the owner? Very suspicious

Key Character Debuts

Mr. Ross
Mrs. Ross

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "I mean, the whole thing is ironic. Think of it: Here the guy is nice enough to give you a box of very fine Cuban cigars..." - Jerry "Yeah, I know what happened." - George "No, but wait, wait: And then you dump them off onto Kramer..." - Jerry "I know." - George "Who, who proceeds to burn the man's cabin down with one of those very same cigars! It's very comical..." - Jerry
- "C'mon. It's not even a house - it's, like, a cabin." - Jerry "We could build a cabin...like that." - George "Well, maybe not us, but two men could." - Jerry
- "Bics? What, did ya get, bics?" - George "What, you got a problem with the pen now?" - Jerry "Well, I like a rolling writer. They're very smooth." - George
- "You know what? Maybe I should take off." - George "What?!" - Jerry "Well, you know, I gotta go to, uh, Susan's parent's house for dinner.. and, you know, I want to shower first.. and I want to leave myself plenty of time." - George "You got four hours! What about the script?" - Jerry "I think we got a bite on it." - George
- "Doesn't George look like your sister, Sarah?" - Mrs. Ross "A slight resemblance." - Mr. Ross
- "Oh, well, so what? Laughter - what is that? I mean, what is the point of opening your mouth and going "Ha, ha!"? What is that? "Ha, ha!"?" - George "You know, you can't get those cigars anywhere." - Mr. Ross "You and your cigars..." - Mrs. Ross "Wear some more lipstick." - Mr. Ross
- "I love that place. My father built that cabin in 1947. My mother was recuperating from Impetigo at the time, and dad thought it would be a good idea to get her out into the fresh air. She died there the following winter. And he passed away 10 years later to the day. His last words to me were, "Cherish the cabin." Not, uh, "Take care of your sister." She's a paraplegic. But, "Cherish the cabin." And I have...for 45 years. It's often been a...sanctuary for me." - Mr. Ross "Kinda like Superman's fortress of solitude." - George
- The Superman references continue
- "Okay? So, she's taking about her panties, so, uh.. So, I said, 'You mean the panties your mother laid out for you?'" - Jerry
- "What'dya got?" - George "I got: You enter, you go "Hi", and I go, "Hello." Now.. we need something here..." - Jerry
- "Ricky, did you wipe her wheels off?" - Mrs. Ross "Yes." - Ricky "Well, they're filthy. It's just a matter of common courtesy...When you come in the house you wipe your wheels." - Mrs. Ross
- "John Cheever?! Dad, you and John Cheever?!" - Ricky "Yes! Yes, he was the most wonderful person I've ever known. And I love him deeply! In a way you could never understand..." - Mr. Ross
- "Hey, what are you reading?" - Elaine "Oh, uh, "The Falconer" by John Cheever. It's really excellent." - George "John Cheever, you ever read any of his stuff?" - Elaine "Uh, yeah, I'm familiar with some of his writing." - Jerry
- "Maybe I'll go visit my mother. She just bought me some new panties and they're - all laid out for me."- Elaine

Oddities & Fun Facts

N/A

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

Another all time classic coming right off the heels of the Bubble Boy. We continue the overarching story of the pilot development as well as George's courtship of Susan. The fallout from the cabin arson was glorious as the Ross family has been torn apart at the seams by Hurricane George. That Cheever reveal scene is just so, so good. I dug the struggle to write and panties stuff too. Lots to love here as this season of greatness rolls on. Final Grade: 8/10

Comments