Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Conversion" (S5, E11)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.

seinconversion

Best Character

George takes this one for me. Jerry and Kramer were both really good in spots, but George was constantly great throughout. He alternated between emotions at a rapid pace and his final showdown with his parents had me laughing the whole way through. The poor guy just wants love! Please faddah!

Best Storyline

George's conversion takes this one easily for me. Kramer's kavorka was good too, but got started a bit late in the episode. Elaine and Jerry's storylines were so-so this time around and I enjoyed Jerry as part of George's issue more.

Ethical Dilemma of the Week

Should you try to convince a nun that has fallen for you to give up her forbidden love and return to the cloth? It's a real gray area. If you feel the same way then you have to go for it. Of course, it is a heavy burden to carry, but true love is true love. It is obvious that the K-Man wasn't going to stick around with Sister Roberta longterm, so he sacrificed his God-given lure for the greater good.

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

We got four separate relationships working in this one, all to various degrees of success. I really liked Tawni as she seemed like a real sweetheart and was a bit of a fox. But Jerome had to snoop and botched that one all up. Elaine's podiatrist beau was creepy and bland and didn't get much screen time to make a difference. Poor, poor Sister Roberta was all sorts of confused but I kind of wanted that one to last into the next episode before Kramer bit the bullet. George and his Latvian Lover are where it's at...until he converts and she takes off on a pilgrimage anyway. She seemed so pained to break up with him that I was surprised she was so callous about taking off at the end. Poor, poor Georgie. Relationship Grade: Brother Costanza/10

What Worked:

Poor George, religion screws him right off the top here and by the look on his girlfriend's face, she is pretty upset about it but when she still orders the lobster I laughed; Latvian Orthodox is so damn random that it works beautifully; It is fun seeing old school George, smitten and ready to the marry the girl that just got away; I love the scene where George slowly decides to convert, including Jerry's dig about King Edward not living in Queens; Kramer's honesty about the snooping was well done and his suggestive nod after saying Fungi got me to laugh out loud; George's lying to the priests was brilliant as well; Kramer's slinky; Jerry's fake cough; George studying in the bathroom while getting bitched out by his parents and then trying to cheat was excellent; Kavorka!: The Costanzas harassing George on his conversion day was perfect; The conversion scene spliced with Kramer hustling was really good; Poor George loses in the end, as always

What Didn't Work

All the snooping; Elaine's boyfriend is a little odd and sensitive; Jerry's girlfriend is so nice, he is an asshole this time around

Key Character Debuts

Sister Roberta

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "Yes, well, you know, I’m not thinking about the price. You know you’re the only woman I’ve never thought about the price. Get the lobster. I beg you to get the lobster. Go for the lobster." - George
- "We started to talk, and I told him that I jog, and then he put his hand on my heart." - Elaine "On your heart?" - Jerry "Jerry, the man is a doctor." - Elaine "Doctor? He’s a podiatrist." - Jerry "It’s the same thing." - Elaine "Anyone can get into podiatry school. George got into podiatry school." - Jerry
- "I know. This was the only woman I never lied to. Well that’s not entirely true." - George
- "To Latvian Orthodox?" - Jerry "Why not? What do I care?" - George "You know it’s not like changing toothpaste." - Jerry "I think it would be romantic." - Elaine "Really?" - George "Yeah, it’s like Edward the Eighth abdicating the throne and marrying Mrs. Simpson. Ooh." - Elaine "King Edward. King Edward, Jerry." - George "Yeah well King Edward didn’t live in Queens with Frank and Estelle Costanza." - Jerry
- "Fungicide. I mean what could she have?" - Jerry "I don’t know." - Elaine "Fungus." - Kramer
- "I am not going to ask him about funguses." - Elaine "Fungi." - Kramer "What?" - Jerry "Fungi." - Kramer
- "Is there one aspect of the faith that you find particularly attractive?" - Priest "I think the hats. The hat convey that solemn religious look you want in a faith. Very pious." - George
- "That’s all there is to it. By Christmas day I will be Brother Costanza." - George "And when is Brother Costanza planning on telling Mother Costanza?" - Jerry "Brother Costanza will be taking the vow of silence." - George
- "You picked up on a vibe, from a nun." - Jerry "Yeah, Jerry I’m telling you I have this power. And I have no control over it." - Kramer
- "Yeah I’ve got this old bottle of cough medicine." - Jerry "I still have brill cream." - George
- "Okay, Latvius was the son of which apostle? And I’ll need that in the form of a question." - Jerry
- "She told me. She said she’s never had a man stir up all of these feelings inside of her. She’s questioning her faith. She’s thinking of leaving the church. Oh, uh, this power. I’m dangerous Jerry, I’m very very dangerous." - Kramer
- "Kavorka?" - Kramer "It is a Latvian word which means "the lure of the animal"." - Priest "I don’t understand." - Kramer "Women are drawn to you. They would give anything to be possessed by you." - Priest "Help me Father. Help me." - Kramer "Yes, yes I will help you. Listen very carefully. I want you to buy ten cloves of garlic, three quarts of vinegar, six ounces…" - Priest
- "Latvian Orthodox? Why are you doing this?" - Estelle "For a woman." - George "A woman? What are you out of your mind?" - Frank "Why can’t you do anything like a normal person?" - Estelle "Wait. Is this the group that goes around mutilating squirrels?" - Frank "No it’s a regular religion." - George "I’m calling my lawyer. It might not be too late to get out of this." - Frank "I don’t want to get out of it." - George "George, you don’t know what you’re saying. You’re under their control." - Estelle "What, they brainwashed you?" - Frank "No no." - George "You’re not performing any rituals in this house." - Frank "Go back to the psychiatrist. I beg you." - Estelle "And stay away from those squirrels." - Frank

Oddities & Fun Facts

N/A

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

I really feel like this episode was put into a tough spot having to follow the Cigar Store Indian juggernaut. It was really good with lots of laughs, but no matter what followed that slice of perfection, it was going to be a bit of a letdown. That said, there is lots here to like. George was fantastic throughout and the scene with his parents was top notch. Kramer was also really good, both with his general counsel early and his kavorka issues later. Jerry was good with his trolling of George but his fungus story fell flat. I also didn't care much for Elaine's story here as it was clear they only inserted the podiatrist boyfriend to push the fungus stuff along. I guess that is what separates this episode from the previous one. This time, the tie-ins all felt a little forced, specifically the one I just mentioned. The Indian episode, everything felt like a natural progression and nothing seemed to exist solely to be shoehorned in as a plot device. Again, I am nitpicking, but what the hell else are we supposed to do? Convert to being fans of a lesser sitcom? Final Grade: 6/10

Comments