Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Dinner Party" (S5, E13)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.

seindinner

Best Character

I have to go with a tie here between Jerry and George. George's coat was so absurd and his war on party gifts and double parkers was tremendous and valiant. Jerry was really good here too with his outlandish rants and stories on multiple occasions. Elaine and Kramer were really good too, but I thought they were just a step behind.

Best Storyline

George's coat. He looked stupid. He acted stupid. He broke wine. He lost his jacket. Look to the jacket.

Ethical Dilemma of the Week

If you walk into a busy bakery and forget to take a number, is it OK to ask people to let you cut? No way. Pay attention to your surroundings! If someone notices you and offers, fine. But to beg? Have some dignity, Laney.

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

Pepsi and Ring Dings. A match made in heaven. The cola goodness and the chocolate heaven. What party wouldn't benefit from that combo? Calories be damned. Health be damned. Enjoy your life by swinging with the whippets junk food couple in all the land. George now loves the Drake's. Relationship Grade: Drake's/10

What Worked:

The "scary cold" comment into George's gore-tex appearance was awesome as was Jerry and Elaine smacking the giant coat; The Bubble Boy callback was good; George's ranting about bringing stuff to a party was completely and perfectly in character, as was his dedication to Pepsi; The throwaway gag about the funeral procession made me chuckle; The babka!; Kramer sticking George with buying the wine was great and just torturous to George; Jerry ripping all the desserts was well done and his cinnamon rant was terrific; Kramer digging into the Clark Bar before George even agrees to buy it; Penthouse Forum!: The random guy yelling at George about his coat in some foreign language is absurd; Jerry nodding to the black guy about the cookie was a nice touch; George's rants on society always hold a special place in my heart; George yelling at the wrong guy was good for a laugh; Angry Elaine is the best Elaine; The Sadaam Hussein bit was so bizarre that it came back around to funny; The final scene was a great payoff

What Didn't Work

Jerry's slacks and sweater combo is brutal; Elaine is quite wrong about not taking a number in the bakery, that is on them, not anyone else; David is really annoying and I always hated the awkward "I know you" sequence; What the hell was up with the guy with the cane?

Key Character Debuts

- N/A

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "This week. My father got a deal from a friend of his. It's Gore-Tex. You know about Gore-Tex?" - George "You like saying Gore-Tex, don't you?" - Jerry
- "You mean just going there because I'm invited, that's rude?" - George "Yeah." - Elaine "So you're telling me instead of being happy to see me they're going to be upset because I didn't bring anything. You see what I'm saying?" - George "The fabric of society is very complex George." - Jerry "I don't even drink wine. I drink Pepsi." - George "You can't bring Pepsi." - Elaine "Why not?" - George "Because we're adults?" - Elaine "You telling me that wine is better than Pepsi? Huh, no way wine is better than Pepsi." - George "I'm telling you George, I don't think we want to walk in there and put a big plastic jug of Pepsi on the table." - Jerry "I just don't like the ideas that every time there is a dinner invitation there's this annoying little chore that goes along with it." - George "You know, you're getting to be an annoying little chore yourself." - Jerry
- "And I got news for you. I show up with Ring Dings and Pepsi, I become the biggest hit at the party. People be coming up to me, "just between you and me I'm really excited about the Ring Dings and the Pepsi. Europeans with the Beaujolais and Chardonnay..." - George
- "Why don't YOU go into the store and I'LL wait in the car?" - Kramer "Because, I've got the coat. I can sit in the car and not get cold." - George "So what I'm going to leave the car running and the heater'll be on." - Kramer "Does the heater even work in this car?" - George "No." - Kramer
- "Because I don't like to carry my wallet. My osteopath says it's bad for my spine. It throws my hips off kilter." - Kramer
- "That's cinnamon babka." - Bakery Clerk "Another babka?" - Jerry
- "No, but they got the chocolate. We'll be going in with a lesser babka." - Elaine "I beg your pardon? Cinnamon takes a back seat to no babka. People love cinnamon. It should be on tables at restaurants along with salt and pepper. Anytime anyone says, "Oh This is so good. What's in it?" The answer invariably comes back, Cinnamon. Cinnamon. Again and again. Lesser babka - I think not." - Jerry
- "You know there is an unusual number of people in this country having sex with AMPUTEES! . . . Penthouse forum, newspaper, gum, Clark Bar." - George
- "Uhm, The thing about eating the Black and White cookie, Elaine, is you want to get some black and some white in each bite. Nothing mixes better than vanilla and chocolate And yet somehow racial harmony eludes us. If people would only look to the cookie all our problems would be solved." - Jerry "Your views on race relations are fascinating. You really should do an op-ed piece for the Times." - Elaine "Um, um, Look to the cookie Elaine. Look to the cookie." - Jerry
- "What is wrong with my hair? Nothing. Nobody takes better care of their hair than me. You can serve dinner on my head." - Elaine "Who needs misty herbal rain water crap they sell in the health food store. I use Prell, the hard stuff. A hundred proof - takes your roots out." - Jerry
- "I know this is going to sound like a crazy fantasy but every word of this story is true…" [exits to street] " A weeks days ago my girlfriend happened to mention to me how attractive our new neighbor Linda was…" - Kramer "Look at this? Somebody double parked and blocked us in. DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHOSE CAR THAT IS? Maybe there's a note on it. No, no note. Can you believe this?" - George "…well of course I noticed it too with those ample breasts and those pouty lips. I don't have to tell you she was a knock out…." - Kramer
- "I mean we can put a man on the moon but we're basically still very stupid. The guy who's car this is? He could be one of the guys who built the rocket. You see what I'm saying?" - George "Yeah, he could build the rocket but he's still stupid for double-parking and blocking somebody in." - Kramer "So you really understand my point about building a rocket and double-parking." - George "Yeah, on one hand he's smart with rockets and on the other part he's dumb with parking...It's cold out here huh?" - Kramer
- "I started screaming, "There's a hair in my farina. There's a hair in my farina." Then I ran out of the house and I was running and running. I was little but I could run very fast. I just kept running and they found me like three hours later collapsed at a construction site." - Jerry
- "You sold us a hair with a cake around it!" - Elaine
- "I think I got David Duke and Fahrikan down there." - Jerry "Well if we can't look to the cookie where can we look?" - Elaine "I feel like I'm going to throw up." - Jerry "Hey, what about your vomit streak?" - Elaine "I know, I haven't thrown up since June 29th, 1980." - Jerry
- "So what did you get?" - George "Cinnamon babka." - Elaine "Cinnamon? Why didn't you get chocolate?" - George

Oddities & Fun Facts

- Jerry calls George "Bubble Boy" in a season four callback
- The crew visits Schnitzer's Bakery for the first time
- Black and white cookies, babka and Gore-Tex coats catch on in pop culture
- David is portrayed by Mark Holton, who also portrayed Francis Buxton in Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

This was another really great episode with lots of laughs and memorable moments and a few pop culture crossover bits too. I also like the callbacks blended in here with the Bubble Boy and Jerry's vomit streak. George's rantings were really well done and even though he bends on his cheapness, he gets caught up in the end and it costs him his beloved coat. Kramer's dalliance with the Penthouse Forum is great as well. Season Five continues to bring the goods each and every week. Look to the cookie, folks. Final Grade: 9/10

Comments