Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Doorman" (S6, E18)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.

seindoor

Best Character

I am not sure where to even start on this one. The Doorman was aces and one of the best one-off characters we have ever seen. Jerry and Elaine were perfect teaming up to take down the scheming Doorman before finally being caught red handed. Kramer was top notch in creating the Bro and using it to save himself from a beating. And of course, the Costanzas were so fantastic. Frank doing the cha-cha in a bra, exasperated George trying to process living with his crossdressing dad while also fretting over his own chest and then Estelle just icing them all at the end. The Costanzas take this one, but it was quite the race.

Best Storyline

I don't know how to choose. How can you do it? The Doorman was flawless, but THE BRO? How do you not pick that? My God!

Ethical Dilemma of the Week

How long was Jerry really committed to standing watch at the door? Was he supposed to stay there all night? He probably should have alerted building management before just straight up leaving, but I don't blame him one bit for walking off. Especially since the Doorman was just going to knock back a boilermaker.

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

Purple shirts. D cups. George and the random coffee shop women may have been a match made in Heaven, but Georgie Boy was too busy fretting to take notice. Relationship Grade: 36D/10

What Worked:

The Doorman is amazing immediately, especially when he just stares at Jerry and then gets pissed about the Knicks question; Kramer's leather coat certainly is something and I love how he comes up with the stupid mugging idea and then forces George to go along with it; Frank not knowing who Cosmo was and then exposing his tits is a tremendous one-two punch of comedy; Jerry's "Hi Mr. Pitt!" and Pitt thinking that means a party is going on; The Doorman is so delightfully weird; Kramer and George explaining Frank's hooters to Jerry, then Kramer planting the seed in George's head, then diving into the bra idea and finally the woman saying she was twins with George; George's Crying Game line; The Doorman is always there, waiting; Jerry as the Doorman is awesome, especially when he just gives up and walks off; George becoming self aware of his lady lumps; Kramer examining Frank's back issues and then unleashing the Bro was tremendous; George asking his Mom about his Grandmother's breasts and then them walking in on Frank and Kramer dancing is an all time classic scene; Elaine looks great in her retro crime movie getup and I love her and Jerry trying to sort out a plan; I love how Frank thinks the "Bro" is too ethnic; Elaine's dismissive tone when grilling the Doorman and then finally snapping and caving was so well done; Kramer, Frank and Sid talking about banging broads and unhooking their bras is so creepy; "Summer nights"; Another business deal is crushed due to Frank being a wild card, although Sid is kind of an asshole here; Kramer blowing up the pee stain on the couch to Frank; Estelle destroys her scene in the apartment, the "he only sells them" line is a killer; Kramer avoiding an attack with the Bro was funny as was the great Poppy payoff with the couch; The final scene in the bed is so good and it is clear that Jason Alexander is doing all he can not to die laughing

What Didn't Work

The Doorman should have said something that was a bit more of a cover than straight up saying he wants to go get a beer, is he running to a bar? A liquor store?; Does Mrs. Payton own the building? I am reaching

Key Character Debuts

- The Doorman

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "What're you, the boyfriend? Here for a... quickie?" - Doorman "Can I just go up?"- Jerry "Oh, I get it. Why waste time making small talk with the doorman? I should just shut up and do my job, opening the door for you." - Doorman
- "...What makes you think I wasn't reading the Wall Street page? Oh, I know, because I'm the uneducated doorman." - Doorman
- "That's it. Now, gimme your wallet. Got it in here, huh, fat boy!" - Kramer
- "Today, I went record shopping in Greenwich Village. I bought this record, but I can't seem to find the hi-fi." - Frank "I don't have a hi-fi." - George "Didn't I give you my old record player?" - Frank "I gave it to Cosmo." - George "Cosmo? Who's Cosmo?" - Frank "I'm Cosmo." - Kramer
- "Ah, sure. Poor doorman has to work two jobs to put food on the table for mother and baby. No, I live here. That's okay, isn't it?" - Doorman "So you work all day as a doorman at one building. Then you come home and
stand outside your own building?" - Jerry "You got a problem with that?" - Doorman
- "He had breasts." - Kramer "What d'you mean, breasts?" - Jerry "Big breasts!" - George "So what? A lot of older men have that." - Jerry "No, not these. These were real hooters." - Kramer
- "I was throwing up all night. It was like my own personal Crying Game." - George
- "Then I suppose the bosom gene comes from your grandmother." - Jerry
- "He claims that you followed him home, and started harassing him." - Doorman "What has this guy got a personal vendetta with me?! What'd I do to him? Cuz I asked him about the Knicks?" - Jerry
- "What is wrong with George?" - Elaine "He's... trying to get something off his chest." - Jerry
- "You want me to wear a bra?!" - Frank "No, no. A bra is for ladies... Meet, the bro." - Kramer
- The Bro (Or Mansiere) immediately becomes a pop culture hit
- "I told you! Now, Frank, listen. Here's what I'm thinking. Now, you have a friend in the bra business, right?" - Kramer "Of course. Sid Farkus. He's the best in the business." - Frank
- "No, bro's no good. Too ethnic." - Frank "Alright, you got something better?" - Kramer "How 'bout uh... the mansiere?" - Frank "Mansiere?" - Kramer "That's right. A brassiere for a man. The mansiere, get it?" - Frank
- "The doorman. And, pray tell, what did the doorman say?" - Elaine "He said he asked a friend of yours to watch the door." - Mrs. Payton "Oh, my. Well, the doorman certainly has a wild imagination, doesn't he?" - Elaine
- "Diabolical. He thought of everything. He was setting me up from day one!" - Jerry "Is it possible we were victims of a sting?" - Elaine
- "And, to be perfectly frank, I've always felt I could use some support. I know, when I'm wearing Banlon, there appears to be some jiggling." - Sid "I wouldn't be caught dead in Banlon!" - Frank
- "But, the very idea. you had me lying in urine!!" - Frank
- "You're not having any of your transvestite parties?" - Estelle "Will you stop it?" - Frank "I lived with him for forty years, I never saw him trying on my underwear. As soon as he leaves the house, he turns into J. Edgar Hoover!" - Estelle
- "Sid Farkus?! You're not having dinner with a bra salesman." - Frank "Hey, he only sells them. He doesn't wear 'em." - Estell

Oddities & Fun Facts

- The Doorman is portrayed by long time character actor and comedian Larry Miller
- Sid Farkus, bra salesman, returns after being last seen in "The Sniffing Accountant" (S5, E4)
- Multiple times in this episode, characters ask "How about them Knicks?"; This episode aired 2/23/95 and on that date the Knicks defeated the Kings to move to 34-18. That would put them 5.5 games behind the Orlando Magic in the Atlantic Division and at the second best record in the Eastern Conference. They would end up losing to the Indiana Pacers in seven games in the second round of the NBA Playoffs.
- Jerry replaces the stolen couch with his old couch that Poppy peed on, a callback to "The Couch" (S6, E5)

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

Easily a Hall of Fame episode. The Bro is iconic and became a pop culture catchphrase. The Doorman may be the best cameo character in the history of the show. Everything tied together, they looped in some really strong callbacks to past episodes and the individual performances were all right on point. Estelle capped it all off by roasting the shit out of Frank to close things out. One of the greats ever sneaks in late in season six. Final Grade: 10/10

Comments