Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Gymnast" (S6, E6)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.

seingym

Best Character

George takes this one for me as everything with Lindsey snowballed into a mess of fantastic misunderstandings and missteps. Eating trash, cleaning windshields, shitting bare chested... he did it all and he did it with whimsy as he wined and dined Lindsey's family. A true star performance. I also want to shoutout Jerry here as he landed some really funny zingers throughout.

Best Storyline

I will go with George's foibles. The 3D poster stuff with Mr. Pitt was funny and had a good payoff with the Hitler stuff, but George was so strong throughout and I love how they cut back to him explaining things to Lindsey again the second time. Great writing for him in this one.

Ethical Dilemma of the Week

Is it OK to shit topless? Hell yes. Settle in and enjoy yourself. We get so few true pleasures in life, why not take full advantage whenever you can?

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

I didn't care much for Katya. Jerry could have just cut her loose right away and blamed it all on local customs. I certainly don't blame him for taking things for a test drive though. When else would he have a shot at an Olympic gymnast? I like Lindsey. I don't care for her judgmental mother though. Relationship Grade: 4.5/10

What Worked:

George still dating Lindsey was a nice touch; Kramer's magic eye poster is so mid-90s; Kramer yelling to George in the bathroom made me laugh; George taking his shirt off to take a dump is a perfect character trait; Mr. Pitt's eccentricities are so on point and him getting sucked in to the picture was well done; Not many people could make eating trash work as well as George Costanza; Jerry & George's garbage debate at the coffee shop was awesome; Jerry's dry "oh that's gotta hurt" after Kramer explains the kidney stone; Jerry's dig to George about eating trash vs. talking trash is an all time favorite of mine; George getting caught cleaning the windshield was nice progression; Pitt's polo outfit is beautifully absurd, as is the fact that is horse is named Jenny; Pitt's Hitler stache and speech is an iconic moment; The payoff to the ink and fountain pen was tremendous; Jerry's cape callback was nicely done; The payoff to George taking his shirt off was great too

What Didn't Work

Why can't anyone pronounce Nana normally on this show; How did Kramer so easily obtain a tape of the 1984 summer Olympics; Why would Jerry and Elaine bound into Kramer's apartment as he is maybe pissing out a kidney stone

Key Character Debuts

N/A

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "I cannot believe Lindsay's still seeing you after that "Breakfast at Tiffany's" thing." - Jerry "I think she finds my stupidity charming." - George "As we all do." - Jerry
- "Well, if I could talk to the mothers and have sex with the daughters, then I'd really have something goin'." -George
- "A gymnast, Jerry. Think of the flexibility. Mmm, that sex'll melt your face." - Kramer
- "Boy, I tell ya', knowing you is like going out in the jungle. I never know what I'm going to find next, and I'm real scared." - Jerry
- "Ya' ever dream in 3-D? It's like the boogeyman is comin' right at you." - Kramer
- "George, you are such a gentleman." - Mrs. Enright "I'd argue if I could, Mrs. Enright." - George
- "So lemme get this straight: you find yourself in the kitchen. You see an clair, in the receptacle. And you think to yourself, "What the hell, I'll just eat some trash."" - Jerry
- "Well, you, my friend, have crossed the line that divides Man and Bum. You are now a Bum." - Jerry
- "No, Lindsay, it was not IN the garbage. It was above the garbage. Hovering. Like an angel. Of course I know your aunt bit it. I kissed her goodbye. Listen, can I tell you something else? In my family, we used to eat out of the garbage all the time." - George
- "Yes, flowers. I will get her flowers, I will go to the florist!" - George
- "Boy, you can really talk some trash. I guess that's better than eating it." - Jerry
- "No, Lindsay, I had accidentally spilled coffee on the gentleman's windshield. Why would I do that? I have a job! Well, did she see a squeegee? Well, you're not going to make a dime without a squeegee." - George
- "My father used to take me to the circus. When the elephants came by, he would scream curses at them, blaming them for all the ills of society." - Katya "Well, they certainly take up a lot of space." - Jerry
- "In my country, they speak of a man so virile, so potent, that to spend a night with such a man is to enter a world of such sensual delights most women dare not dream of. This man is known as the "Comedian". You may tell jokes, Mr. Jerry Seinfeld, but you are no Comedian." - Katya

Oddities & Fun Facts

- Jerry references how capes are making a comeback, which is a callback to The Chinese Woman (S6, E4)

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

This one was solid, but not much more. There was some strong laughs in there, mainly centered around George's adventures and Jerry's one liners, but it was a pretty up and down offering. I did think the writing was pretty sharp, with everything paying off well at the end, but the journey there didn't fully click. I wasn't totally into Kramer's story and Elaine felt like nothing more than a plot mover for Jerry and Mr. Pitt. The Hitler mustache is an iconic moment and Jerry and George were sharp but those things weren't quite enough to bump this to the next level. Final Grade: 6/10

Comments