Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Implant" (S4, E19)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.

seinim

Best Character

Man, this is another close race. George, Jerry and Elaine were all quite good, but I have to go with the K-Man. Kramer was a real fly in the ointment for Jerry and George and I loved his Rushdie stuff and wish we got more of a payoff there. If George had a little more screen time, he probably would have taken it for me. Elaine started hot but cooled off and Jerry's nonsense about breaking up with Sidra because she was enhanced pissed me off too much to reward him.

Best Storyline

As classic as the breast test is, I have to go with George's quest to make out and save money on flights. It had all the best of George: stuck in an aimless relationship, screwed by a phone call, tries to be cheap and he pulls it off with the doctor and then blows it all because he can't help himself with Timmy. In the end, he loses the girl and the cash. Perfect Costanza.

Ethical Dilemma of the Week

Should Jerry have dumped Sidra because he thought her breasts were fake? Hell no, idiot. Look at her! At least test drive them first before you do something so rash. She obviously had the hots for Jerome so he could have closed on the next date. Asinine.

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

Kramer and Sal Bass really had something brewing. They had instant chemistry and Kramer landed a nice joke to break the ice. I want to see more of this dynamic duo in the future. Relationship Grade: Bass/Salmon

What Worked

They are indeed spectacular; Elaine bursting Jerry's bubbles over Sidra's talent was great; The left/right fiasco was so George, topped by the awful phone call right when he finally got his way; George's pantomiming during the call was equally good; Kramer's sauna joke always makes me crack up; I love Kramer again setting up to screw George on plane tickets; Elaine and Sidra dishing on Jerome in the sauna was funny, ending with the test; Kramer's fine acting skills were on display with the bereavement ticket purchase and I loved him popping up fine with the frequent flier number; The fucking Rushdie/Sidra conversation between Kramer and Jerry; Sal Bass!; Double dip!; Nice touch and callback with Jerry trying to get on Sidra's left side; Jerry's breast conversation was masterful; Kramer's bathing suit mission blowing up Jerry's spot was well orchestrated

What Didn't Work

Jerry is insane wanting to ditch super hot Sidra because her tits are fake; Timmy is a weird looking dude

Key Character Debuts

- Sidra

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "Hi, Sidra. I usually last about ten minutes on a Stairmaster. Unless of course there's someone stretching in front of me in a leotard, then I can go an hour." - Jerry
- "You know, uh...they're fake." - Elaine "What? Don't say that!" - Jerry "Nah! They're fake!" - Elaine "How do you know?" - Jerry "I can tell. You know how you're always bragging how you can spot a lesbian?" - Elaine "I'm not bragging, I happen to have a very keen lesbian eye." - Jerry "Oh, right. C'mon, don't you think they seem a bit too perfect?" - Elaine "Yes, they do!" - Jerry "I never knew you were so into breasts. I thought you were a leg man." - Elaine "A leg man? Why would I be a leg man? I don't need legs. I have legs." - Jerry
- "Don't be so sure. Look at George - he's on his ninth date with Betsy, he still hasn't gotten anywhere with her." - Jerry "What's his problem?" - Elaine "Well, every time he tries to make a move, something screws up. Like on their last date, they were on the couch, but she was sitting on his wrong side." - Jerry "Wrong side?" - Elaine "Yeah, she was on his right side. He can't make a move with his left hand. Can't go left." - Jerry "He can't go left." - Elaine "No! I'm lefty, can't go right.What about women? Do they go left or right?" - Jerry "Nah, we just play defense." - Elaine
- "Positive! This chick's playin' with confederate money." - Elaine "Well then, that's it. That's the end of that." - Jerry "What? Just 'cause of that?" - Elaine "Just 'cause of that? It's like finding out Mickey Mantle corked his bat!" - Jerry
- "You know, sometimes when I think you're the shallowest man I've ever met, you somehow manage to drain a little more out of the pool." - Elaine
- "Oh man, I wish I could get away." - Kramer "Real busy now down at the office?" - Jerry
- "You put her on a pedestal." - Jerry "I put them on a dental chair." - Kramer
- "Her aunt dying is the best thing that ever happened to you." - Jerry "It's like ten dates in one shot." - Kramer
- "Ah, look who's here. Silicon Valley." - Elaine
- "Anyway, touching two breasts doesn't make you an expert." - Jerry "Alright, well anyway, I think they're real. And if they are, I must say they are...spectacular." - Elaine "Aw, what are you doin' to me?" - Jerry
- "Hey, of the two of us, I'm the only one who's touched 'em." - Elaine
- "Well, I don't mind someone with a phony personality, but I gotta draw the line somewhere." - Jerry
- "If that's Rushdie, they're real." - Jerry "If they're real, that's Rushdie." - Kramer
- "Jerry, are you blind? He's a writer. He said his name was Sal Bass. Bass, Jerry! Instead of salmon, he went with bass! He just substituted one fish for another!" - Kramer "Look, you idiot, first of all, it's Salman, not salmon!" - Jerry
- "Why do you need a death certificate?" - Dr. Allenwood "Well, Dr, Allenwood, uh...I was hoping to compile an - admittedly, rudimentary - scrapbook of her life. Something that Betsy could have, and hold onto." - George
- The faux pas of double dipping a chip enters the public lexicon
- "Double-dipped"? What are you talking about?" - George "You dipped the chip. You took a bite. And you dipped again." - Timmy "So...?" - George "That's like putting your whole mouth right in the dip! From now on, when you take a chip - just take one dip and end it!" - Timmy
- "Good, feel good...you know that Jayne Mansfield had some big breasts. Really big, huge...just coming out the top of her dress, they were like, chokin' her." - Jerry
- "I don't know, my bathing suit? That's a little familiar, I don't want your...your boys down there." - Jerry "C'mon, what's wrong with my boys?" - Kramer "Your boys should stay in their neighborhood." - Jerry
- "I think you're both mentally ill. And by the way...they're real, and they're spectacular." - Sidra
- "They're real, and they're spectacular" becomes a famous catchphrase
- "Well, you see, what happened was...the doctor - the very same doctor that was attending to my late aunt - suffered an untimely stroke, and lost the use of his right hand, so...obviously I was unable to get the death certificate. However, I do have this." - George "What's this?" - Clerk "That's a picture of me next to the coffin." - George

Oddities & Fun Facts

- Teri Hatcher plays Sidra

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

Another classic episode in a season stocked with them. This one comes late in the game but has two iconic Seinfeld catchphrases that would penetrate pop culture in double dipping and the spectacular line. Sidra was easily one of Jerry's best ladies so far as she was very entertaining in her role. George's issues were pretty much the B plot and was so good it easily could have been the main storyline. Toss in Kramer's Bass fishing and Elaine's stumble and we have an easy winner. I can't say it had that true epic laugh out loud moment so it falls just short of the real classics, but there was a lot here to love. I wouldn't blame you at all if you double dipped watching this one. Final Grade: 8/10

Comments