Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Invitations" (S7, E24)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.

seininvite

Best Character

I dug Jerry here, but George takes it. The whole season has been about his journey and he finally finishes the job he started back in episode one. Since he proposed he has been miserable and he escapes by inadvertent killing Susan off for good. His complete despair throughout the episode being paid off by gleefully dialing up Marisa Tomei the day before Susan's funeral was genius.

Best Storyline

The invitations is the easy call. Jerry and Jeannie had its moments, but this whole season was built upon this one storyline, it has to be the choice.

Ethical Dilemma of the Week

Should George have dialed up Marisa Tomei that quickly? No. But mainly because he was destined to fail. Of course she was going to think you were a creep! Bide your time before organically stumbling across her, Georgie Boy. Play it smart, you already know she is into you and now you are a widower? Stupid.

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

Jerry and Jeannie were cute for a hot minute but I am with Kramer. That shit got old fast. She is no Schmoopie, but I don't blame the K-Man for speaking up. Relationship Grade: JS/10

What Worked:

George saying "late June" as Susan said "June" was funny; Kramer mixing up Susan's name; George's schemes to break up with Susan were quite funny; Elaine demanding George to be part of the wedding party; Jerry picturing a life with just Kramer; George smoking and nearly killing himself; Jerry realizing he was in love with himself; Kramer selling George on the prenup idea and Susan laughing at him; Susan's "Yeah give me the papers, I'll sign them" may be her best line of the season; The Jerry & Jeannie montage was well done; I love how Kramer hates Jeannie; Nice callback with Jerry romanticizing by the pier and then proposing, mirroring what George did to open the season; The pine/oak desk time killer conversation always cracks me up; Kramer taking the $20; You can see Susan's doom coming but it is still jarring when she collapses; Jerry referencing the pact was a nice touch; Kramer saying Frank called to tell him the news is an awesome throwaway random line; The envelopes killing Susan after George cheaped out was a sick, twisted, fantastic payoff to this whole season; George immediately calling Marisa Tomei is tremendous

What Didn't Work

Susan is a millionaire, why does she allow George to skimp on the invitations?; The Susan/Lilly stuff was good for a couple laughs, but it felt a little forced; Since when does Susan work again?

Key Character Debuts

Jeannie Steinmann

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "What about a letter?" - George "A letter." - Jerry "I...I...write a letter and then I..I go to China. I disappear in a sea of people for like six months, a year you know just while things simmer down. Ehm.. Ehm...Dear Susan. I'm sorry. I made a terrible mistake. I'm really , really sorry." - George "That's it?" - Jerry "What? Too short?" - George "Seems a little short, yeah..." - Jerry & George "You can't go to China What about your job?" - George "My Job... arghhh" - George "So write a letter.. move to another...move to Staten Island, 'lot easier to blend in a sea of people in Staten Island than China believe me." - Jerry "Yeah! Yeah!..Staten Island . What about my clothes, how do I get the rest of the clothes?" - George "Aagh! You come back for your clothes." - Jerry "I'm not going back in there." - George "So forget about your clothes." - Jerry "Well I'm not starting up a whole new wardrobe now!!!" - George "Look, freedom with no clothes is a lot better than no freedom with clothes." - Jerry "If she'd just take a plane somewhere." - George "And what, hope for a crash?" - Jerry "It happens." - George "You know what the odds are on a crash it's a million to one." - Jerry
- "The shirt you got on under your sweather.It sits for three weeks in your drawer, waiting to come out. and when it finally does . It sticks up only half an inch out of your collar." - Jeannie
- "No it's true. This woman saved my life. I was crossing the street .I was almost hit by a car...and then we talked and... the whole thing just seemed like a dream." - Jerry "If a guy saved your life you'd be in love with him too." - Kramer "No, no this woman is different , she's incredible. she's just like me. She talks like me, she acts like me. She even ordered cereal at a restaurant. We even have the same initials. Wait a minute, I just realized what's going on. Now I know what I've been looking for all these years......myself! I've been waiting for me to come along and now I 've swept myself off my feet." - Jerry "You stop it man.. you're freaking me out!" - Kramer
- "No, no no no no. Weddings are a great place to meet chicks. I have to be unfettered." - Kramer
- "Hey is the same thing as hello. What do you think Jeannie." - Jerry "Yeah I think it's the same thing." - Jeannie "Oh! Big surprise" - Kramer
- "Hey! what's the deal with decaf; how do they get the caffeine out of there and then where does it go?" - Jeannie

Oddities & Fun Facts

- Elaine references hating smoking, a callback to The Boyfriend (S3, E15/E16)
- Jeannie Steinmann is portrayed by comedienne Janeane Garofalo
- Jerry sitting by the pier and then proposing to Jeannie mirrors how George proposed to Susan in The Engagement (S7, E1)
- The Bank Manager is played by NewsRadio's Stephen Root
- The Doctor who pronounces Susan dead also played the proctologist in The Fusilli Jerry (S6, E21)
- According to George Steinbrenner, he was supposed to appear as himself in this episode but when he found out Susan was going to die, he declined the offer due to the dark turn of the show

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

Well, we waited all season to see how this engagement would end. There seemed to be very little chance that the wedding would happen but I don't think many people expected Susan to flat out be killed off. I would argue that the turn to true darkness and establishing that these are worthless, irredeemable people really starts in this episode, inside the hospital. We will track as we go, but it seemed to finally be the point that they showed zero remorse for anything. The rest of the show was fine, but really felt like filler to get us to Susan's passing. Kramer's bank stuff had a couple laughs and the Jerry/Jeannie stuff was cute, more for Jerry mirroring George and then realizing he hates, not loves, himself. I can't say this really was a great episode but it certainly was memorable. Season seven as a whole was much better than I remembered. Two more seasons to go! Final Grade: 7/10

Comments