Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Little Kicks" (S8, E4)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.

seinfeld-s8e4-1600x900-800x450_071620141115

Best Character

They were all really damn good. George embracing the bad boy, Kramer's casual attitude about everything going down with Brady, Elaine's dancing and obsession about the staff's disrespect, toss in Frank and Brody too while you are at it...but... of course... Jerry the Bootlegger. Jerry takes it for me again this week. His lines were so on point again and his growing obsession and attitude over the bootlegging was well done, I love him asking for the magic markers to storyboard the movie. That said, fantastic ensemble performance this week.

Best Storyline

The bootlegging had the most consistent laughs. Elaine and George were great but Jerry, Kramer and Brody dominated this one. From the original scene in the theatre to Brody's visits to the apartment to Jerry's haughty attitude over the bootlegs, they crushed it.

Ethical Dilemma of the Week

Should you keep your phone under the couch? I see absolutely no reason why not.

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

Kramer may want to sever ties with Corky Ramirez, the group he runs with is no good. Relationship Grade: Laugh with the Sinners/Cry with the Saints

What Worked:

The sidewalk conversation always makes me chuckle; Jerry's Jack Ruby line is a good one as was George's asking the waitress where she comes out with the hors d'oeuvre; That fucking dance; Jerry sarcastically saying Kramer owed him a favor and then Kramer offering to wait for George and his "he's right in there boy"; Kramer asking Brody before Jerry even has the ticket for him; Jerry's fake call waiting noise; Jerry listing all the stuff George is bad at; Jerry's "feed bag" line is such a good one and I love the payoff with Brody actually getting sick; George was great as the bad boy, especially having to explain away Frank's old man shit that is strewn in the car and his "I didn't do nothin'" and then cowering from Elaine; All the theatre scenes; The twist with Brody loving Jerry's work and booking him for more gigs; Kramer asking Brody if he needs a glove to go with the bat; "Limbs flailing, arms akimbo" gets me every time; Jerry wanting a whole crew to bootleg Cry, Cry Again; George crying at the police station and then Elaine and Frank throwing down

What Didn't Work

JT: George crashing Elaine's work party feels a but out of character and felt like a forced way to get him there to see the dance

Key Character Debuts

- Anna
- Brody the Bootlegger

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "I wouldn't walk over there." - Kramer "Why not?" - Jerry "It's the most dangerous part of the sidewalk. Cab hops a curb, wap! You've had your last egg sandwich." - Kramer
- "Oh sure. Hey guys, I wanna make a toast. Um... Here's to us who wish us well, and those who don't can go to hell... All right, who's dancin'? C'mon, who's dancin'? You want me to get it started? I'll get it started. Whew!" - Elaine
- Elaine debuts her iconic "little kicks" dance
- "Yeah, I know, but he's a big fan of the genre. You know I'd consider it a personal favor to me." - Kramer "Yeah I guess I do owe you." - Jerry
- "Elaine danced?" - Jerry "It was more like a full bodied dry heave set to music." - George
- "He's like a virus. He attaches himself to a healthy host company, and the next thing you know, the entire staff's infected." - Elaine
- "Oh trust me. He's a bad seed. He's a horrible seed. He's one of the worst seeds I've ever seen." - Elaine "And you two are friends?" - Anna "Yeah, we're good friends." - Elaine
- "Really? I thought you were rebuffed." - Jerry "With extreme prejudice." - George
- "You've been the bad employee, the bad son, the bad friend..." - Jerry "Yes, yes..." - George "The bad fiance, the bad dinner guest, the bad credit risk..." - Jerry "Okay, the point is made." - George "The bad date, the bad sport, the bad citizen... The bad tipper!" - Jerry
- "That's quite a feed bag you're workin' on there." - Jerry "It's for all of us. Is there a problem?" - Brody "Brody, c'mon. He's just kidding. He's a joke maker. Tell him, Jerry." - Kramer "I'm a joke maker." - Jerry
- "Where did you meet this guy?" - Jerry "He's a friend of a friend. You know Corky Ramarez up on 94th Street? One day he and I are playing Pinochle" - Kramer
- "Yeah well, maybe if he didn't lick his fingers before he reached in the bag we would've eaten some. Serves him right." - Jerry
- "People with guns don't understand. That's why they get guns. Too many misunderstandings." - Jerry
- "I pressed through the rushes and there, the native dancers whirled before me: limbs flailing, arms akimbo, feet kicking up dust..." - Employee
- "It's about a guy buying a loaf of bread." - Kramer "No, bread is his soul. He's trying to buy back a loaf of his soul." - Jerry
- "I don't care about Brody. I was up on 96th Street today, there was a kid couldn't have been more than ten years old. He was asking a street vendor if he had any other bootlegs as good as Death Blow. That's who I care about. The little kid who needs bootlegs, because his parent or guardian won't let him see the excessive violence and strong sexual content you and I take for granted." - Jerry
- "Yeah. He went at the Beekman, he tried to land, but they cheesed him." - Kramer
- "It's all right, George. You'll just pay a fine and that'll be it." - Anna "Why did the policeman have to yell at me like that?" - George

Oddities & Fun Facts

- N/A

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

I love this episode. I always have. Everything to with the bootlegging slays me every time, all of the quick hot lines and the way the whole thing develops is so well done. Jerry has been on a hot streak and Brody and Kramer fed him all the way through. George and Elaine were good as well, especially in the police station at the end. Really good stuff here with many memorable laughs and moments and an iconic moment in Elaine's dancing. It isn't easy following Bizarro Jerry but they got it done. Final Grade: 8/10

Comments