Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Maestro" (S7, E3)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.

seinmaestro

Best Character

I am going with a tie this time around and choosing Kramer and Jackie Chiles. Their chemistry was popping right away and they played off each other seamlessly. Jackie was amazing and on point out of the gate and Kramer had some really good physical comedy here too. The balm conversation was epic.

Best Storyline

I have to go with Kramer's lawsuit. It has Jackie, it has the Maestro, it has the balm, it has the caffeinated power walk down the street. What more do you need?

Ethical Dilemma of the Week

Should the workers at Java World be giving Kramer shit for his free coffees? No, why the hell do they give a shit? Do they own a stake in that franchise? If not, sling that java and keep going about your day. Leave the litigation to the suits.

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

Jackie and Kramer are a true match made in heaven. If I were the creators of Seinfeld, I would have immediately created a Jackie Chiles spinoff where he and Kramer move in together and Jackie bails him out of wacky situations every episode. The chemistry was impeccable. Relationship Grade: Dr. Bison/10

What Worked:

I like how these early episodes have quickly threaded together with this one picking off almost right where the last episode left off; Jackie Chiles is awesome right away; Dr. Bison cracks me up every time; George is a class act here, thinking of the poor security guard; Kramer and Elaine arguing over the court case was so good; The Maestro!; Jerry pissing Maestro off by calling him Bob right away was funny; Kramer closing the door with his foot and then acting out Flight of the Bumblebee was a great one-two punch; Jerry's dig about suffering was a high quality joke; George ordering the billing coffee after finding out Kramer's impeding windfall; Seeing Kramer and Jerry first thing in the morning was a nice touch and something we haven't seen before; I enjoy the bust directness of the security guard; The balm argument in the cab is a classic; Kramer and Jackie have instant chemistry, right down to trying to walk into the doorway together; Kramer's accepting the unlimited coffee without hearing the rest of the offer is a great payoff; Maestro blasting the orchestra in his convertible was quite the scene; George's "I suppose he could swivel" was fantastic; Kramer's caffeinated power walk; "Si, Si, I'm a Ciccio"; Good back-to-back scenes with Jerry and George's plans both blowing up in their faces

What Didn't Work

Nit pick, but the way Maestro says "balm for your burn" is absurd as is some of his other overacting; George's red shirt is brutal; Evan Fain sucks

Key Character Debuts

- Jackie Chiles
- The Maestro, Bob Cobb

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "I don't know where the rabbi got that. Ya know I never said that. I said "I've never seen you looser"." - Elaine
- "So ya know, my friend and I we were going to the movies and we stopped off and bought this cafe latte." - Kramer "Hm Hm. Oh what is that like Italian coffee?" - Jackie "Yeah that's right." - Kramer "Half milk, half coffee?" - Jackie
- "Yeah that's going to be a problem. It's gonna be a problem for them. This a clear violation of your rights as a consumer. It's an infringement on your constitutional rights. It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous." - Jackie "It's definitely preposterous." - Kramer
- "All right. Don't change me. Susan. Don't change me. Ya know there are a lot of woman that would love to be in your position right now." - George "Name one." - Susan
- "So ah, what did you do last night?" - Jerry "Nothing." - Elaine "I know nothing, but what did you actually do?" - Jerry "Literally nothing. I sat in a chair and I stared." - Elaine "Wow. That really is nothing." - Jerry
- "Oh Tuscany huh? Hear that Jerry? That's in Italy." - Kramer "I hear it's ah beautiful there." - Jerry "Well if you're thinking of getting a place there don't bother. There's really nothing available." - Maestro
- "Too flashy?" - George "Yeah, it's burning my retina." - Jerry
- "That's why I'm different. I can sense the slightest human suffering." - George "Are you sensing anything right now?" - Jerry
- "I happen to know for a fact, that he was called Maestro in social situations. I once saw him at a bar and someone came up to him and said "Hello Maestro, how about a beer". OK, so that's a fact." - Maestro
- "You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? I didn't tell you to put the balm on. Why'd you put the balm on? You haven't even been to see the doctor. If your gonna put a balm on, let a doctor put a balm on." - Jackie "I guess I screwed up huh Jackie?" - Kramer "Your damn right you screwed up. Where the hell did you get that damm balm anyway?" - Jackie "The Maestro." - Kramer "The who? What are you talking about Maestro?" - Jackie "My friend he's a conductor." - Kramer "Oh oh oh, so a Maestro tells you to put a balm on and you do it?" - Jackie "Well my stomach was burning." - Kramer "I tell you what this is. This is a public humiliation." - Jackie "Well I didn't know the balm was gonna work." - Kramer "Do you know what a balm is? Have you ever seen a balm? Didn't you read the instructions? No one can tell what a balm's gonna do. They're unpredictable." - Jackie
- "Of course he is. There's got to be houses for rent in Tuscany. Do you know how big Tuscany is?" - George "I have no idea." - Jerry "It it's huge. It's probably like North Dakota." - George "Oh, no way it's that big." - Jerry "It's a big region." - George "Do you know how big North Dakota is stupid?" - Jerry "I don't know why I bother even talking to you." - George

Oddities & Fun Facts

- N/A

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

Now we are talking! After a soft start to the season, we get a home run with a great top to bottom episode. Everyone was damn good in this one and could all have been easily considered for Best Character. We also get two strong debuts of memorable characters in the Maestro and Jackie Chiles. The scenes with Jackie and Kramer were all top notch and the payoff with Kramer screwing everything off but still getting his free coffee was sharp. The writing all tied together nicely in the end of this one as well. A nice sign after a shaky beginning.  Final Grade: 8/10

Comments