Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Masseuse" (S5, E9)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.

seinmass

Best Character

Not the strongest performance of the season for our beloved crew, but I do think Jerry stood out the most. Kramer had a few good spots but Jerry's delivery and desperation kept this one moving along. Just give Jerome a massage! He is tense!

Best Storyline

I will go with Little Stuart Rifkin. The writing was strongest here, between Elaine dancing around the subject, the Giants game announcement and the tremendous arguing over names. There was some fun stuff with the massages too, mainly when Kramer and Jerry were going at it.

Ethical Dilemma of the Week

I can see why Karen would get so annoyed, but a little part of me thought she could have really tried to better understand George's plight. If she dug him as much as she claimed to, she should have supported his quest to win Jodi over. Finding a common interest and providing support only brings couples closer. More risotto, waiter!

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

Not feeling the relationships here at all. Jodi was awful across the board, Joel was a whiny bitch and Karen, well I like Karen, I just wish she helped George with his neuroses. Relationship Grade: Remmy/10

What Worked:

Kramer's adoption serial killer correlation is great; George's double date theory is a good one; Jerry's desperation for a massage is funny in a cringeworthy way, and his eye roll when Jodi goes in for the kill always cracks me up; Poor George just wants to be loved; Elaine trying to Svengali Joel into changing his name was well done; The OJ Rifkin thing is so randomly awesome in retrospect, what are the odds?; Jerry's delivery of "I don't like him" is great too; As frustrating as it was to watch, the story of Jodi doling out massages to anyone but Jerry was well worked, almost as well worked as George's cab hailing techniques; Jerry and Kramer arguing over the massage is one of my favorite scenes of the season; Joel being adopted was a nice touch; Jerry is killing it with the delivery in this one as his "Ask Newman" is tremendous too; The Joel & Elaine name lists were funny; George leaving during making out with Karen to win over Jodi sums up Constanza perfectly; Good for Jerry to tell off Jodi, she sucked

What Didn't Work

I want to punch Elaine's co-workers in the face; Jodi is really unlikeable, almost immediately; Joel is a pussy, this is a bad showing for significant others outside of Karen, but even she has some issues

Key Character Debuts

Joel Rifkin
Jodi the Masseuse

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "No I haven't vomited in thirteen years." - Jerry "Get out!" - Elaine "Not since June 29, 1980." - Jerry "You remember the date?" - Elaine "Yes, because my previous vomit was also June 29th... 1972. That's why during the '80 vomit, I was yelling to George: "Can you believe it? I'm vomiting on June 29th again."" - Jerry
- "Would you change yours?" - Elaine "f someone asked me nicely. I'm Claude Seinfeld." - Jerry
- "You know why Rifkin was a serial killer? Because he was adopted. Just like Son of Sam was adopted. So apparently adoption leads to serial killing." - Kramer
- "Well it's like going to Idhao and eating carrots. I like carrots, but I'm in Idhao, I want a potato." - Jerry
- "I tried brushing my teeth by holding the brush and moving my head from side to side. It didn't work." - Jerry
- "Well maybe you're not the Dion type. OK then let's see, let's see, what do we got? Oh! Oh oh oh! O.J.! O.J. Rifkin! You don't even use a name, it's just initials. Oh please please please change your name to O.J.! Please, it would be so great!" - Elaine
- "I don't even know her sister but believe me, if she's getting traffic tickets, she's not that good-looking!" - George
- "First she sets the mood perfectly with this new age music played over ocean sounds. Then she lays you out on this table, and she proceeds to rub oil over your entire body. And she rubs long... and deep... Jerry, she rubs with love. Every muscles she touches just...  ooo-zz-es. Beneath those silky, soft fingers, you can scarcely contain yourself, buddy." - Kramer
- "Why? Why? Look, I paid for her." - Kramer "Don't you ever talk about her like that!" - Jerry
- "What about my massage?" - Kramer "Ask Newman." - Jerry
- "Ned's a guy who buys irregular underwear. Next!" - Joel
- "Remy Rifkin? Should I get a beret?" - Joel :Oh, Stuart's a lot better! Little Stuart Rifkin likes to go shopping with his mother." - Elaine

Oddities & Fun Facts

- Jerry hasn't vomited in thirteen years
- Legendary announcer Bob Sheppard is doing the public announcing at the Giants game

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

Surprisingly, this may have been my least favorite episode of the season. On paper, and just based off memory, this is a pretty well known offering, so I assumed it would continue the hot streak of season five, but it fell apart fairly quickly. Jodi really sucked and made the episode tough to watch because she just had nothing redeemable going on. The Rifkin stuff was good but probably could have been fleshed out more. Kramer was really funny but only saw limited action. George's storyline was fairly weak too. There are some laughs here, but it just never seem to kick into gear. Final Grade: 5/10

Comments