Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Mom & Pop Store" (S6, E8)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.

seinmompop

Best Character

I will go with Jerome here. He was a real asshole to George, taking delight in his foibles over Voight's car. But, for once, it all caught up to Jerry and he ended up being the jackass in the end. His cowboy boots, mockery of George, spelling names wrong, and destroying a beloved holiday tradition were all very well executed. EVERYBODY'S TALKIN' AT ME!

Best Storyline

The Jon Voight Car. It had it all, including George desperately trying to trick the Yankees into celebrating Jon Voight Day just so he can ask about his car. A true mastermind. And it all paid off in the end. I DON'T HEAR A WORD THEY'RE SAYIN!

Ethical Dilemma of the Week

Should Mr. Pitt have allowed his children some enjoyment? Any? I understand he was upper crust at a time when that meant you had to blow your nose on the poor, but still. He could have built his own Woody Woodpecker balloon and allowed his poor son to ride on it or something. Live a little! ONLY THE ECHOES OF MY MIND!

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

Jerry and Elaine. It is meant to be. If only she had moved her chair to a different table, they would be married right now. PEOPLE STOP AND STARE! Relationship Grade: Honeysuckle Jump/10

What Worked:

George being hoodwinked into Jon Voight's Lebaron and then defending it to Jerry and Elaine; I like how Jerry's main concern with dating a dentist is about a critique of brushing technique; I enjoy how Kramer will jam a dig at Jerry whenever he is around other people; Pitt making Elaine pick the salt of his pretzels is so good and I also love how pumped he gets about the parade contest and then Elaine telling him to shutup so she can hear the song; George singing "Everybody's Talkin" with remade lyrics; The electrician's delivery and cadence always makes me laugh; Poor Kramer, just trying to help Mom & Pop and he gets hosed; Jerry and George's showdown in the car is one of my favorite all time scenes, especially Jerry's "With a G...and an I!"; Also, the street toughs calling Jerry "cowboy"; Jerry trying to decipher the emphasis from Whatley is a classic line both times around; I love the scene where Kramer explains Mom & Pop's scheme to Elaine and she blows it out of the water; The crew at the deli is something else; Kramer, bloodied, accosting Jon Voight and getting bit; I love Kramer and George's celebration when Whatley says he knows Voight; The Woody Woodpecker running gag at the party was pretty good and it was funny seeing Jerry be the fool for once, crashing a party and then destroying a beloved balloon; ARVID ENGEN!; The closing scene is tremendous; I CAN'T SEE THEIR FACES!

What Didn't Work

Why would Tim call Jerry for George and Elaine's addresses when he wasn't planning on inviting Jerry? Douche move; The dubbed in Woody Woodpecker laugh from Elaine always bothered me; Why wouldn't Elaine move her seat at the deli as opposed to going deaf?; Why are mom & pop having a yard sale on Thanksgiving morning?; ONLY THE SHADOWS OF THEIR EYES!

Key Character Debuts

Tim Whatley

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "You bought a car because it belonged to Jon Voight?" - Jerry "No, no..." - George "I think yes, yes. You like the idea of telling people you're driving Jon Voight's car." - Jerry "Alright, maybe I do. So what." - George "I've never even seen him in a car. I mean, look at his movies. No cars. Deliverance - canoe. Midnight Cowboy - boots. Runaway Train...runaway train." - Elaine
- "Yeah, of course you do. And do you know why? Because you're a bunch of yuppies. It's your go-go corporate takeover lifestyles that are driving out these Mom and Pop stores and destroying the fabric of this neighborhood." - Kramer "Well, what's so great about a Mom and Pop store? Let me tell you something. If my Mom and Pop ran a store, I wouldn't shop there." - George "Hey, Bogambo - they've been in the neighborhood for 48 years. Now, come on, Jerry. You've gotta have a pair of shoes in need of a cobblin.'" - Kramer "I really don't wear the kind of shoes that have to be cobbled." - Jerry
- Kramer first uses the nickname "Bogambo"
- "So many sneakers!" - Mom "Well, he's got a Peter Pan complex." - Kramer
- "My father was a stern man. He forbad us to participate in any activities that he thought were associated with the common man. The Thanksgiving Day Parade was first on the list." - Mr. Pitt
- " Next Stop Pottersville, Next Stop Pottersville! You are a genius!" - Mr. Pitt
- "Everybody's talkin' at me...I can't hear a word they're sayin'...just drivin' around in Jon Voight's car..." - George
- "Except Jon is spelled with an H. J-O-H-N." - Jerry "So?" - George "Doesn't Jon Voight spell his name J-O-N?" - Jerry "So, what are you saying?" - George "Nothing. I'm sure "Jon" probably mispelled his own name. I know sometimes I spell Jerry with a G...and an I!" - Jerry "Get out of the car!" - George "What?" - Jerry "That's right, you heard me. Get out! You are ruining this whole experience for me!" - George "Oh, look! There's Gregory Peck's bicycle!" - Jerry "Get out!" - George "And Barbara Mandrell's skateboard!" - Jerry
- "How would you find out something like that...wait a minute, what am I thinking? I've got the entire Yankee organization at my disposal." - Elaine "He'll dispose of it." - Jerry
- "I'm afraid so. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I've been asking around - they didn't even have any kids." - Kramer "Mom and Pop aren't even a Mom and Pop?!" - Jerry "It was all an act, Jerry. They conned us, and they scored, big time." - Kramer "So. Mom and Pop's plan was to move into the neighborhood...establish trust...for 48 years. And then, run off with Jerry's sneakers." - Elaine "Apparently." - Kramer
- " Jerry, for all I know this guy went out of his way to not invite you. How am I gonna feel if I show up with an uninvited, unwelcome intruder?" - George "The way I feel when I go places with you?" - Jerry
- "So you're gonna show up at that party with a chewed-up pencil and Kramer's gnarled arm." - Jerry
- "Are you the one who bought his LeBaron convertible?" - Tim "Yes! Yes, I'm the one! Hey! So, you know Jon Voight!" - George "Yes! Yes, I went to dental school with him." - Tim "Jon Voight, the actor?" - George "No. The periodontist." - Tim

Oddities & Fun Facts

- Bryan Cranston portrays Tim Whatley, DDS
- Jon Voight portrays himself
- This was a timely topic as the battle between mega stores and local mom & pop shops was raging throughout the decade
- When George sings the song about his car, he sings to the tune of "Everybody's Talkin'", which was sung by Harry Nilsson for Midnight Cowboy, a movie staring Jon Voight
- Jerry calls Elaine "Lois" after her investigative work, a reference to Superman's Lois Lane
- The gentleman who calls Jerry about finding his sneakers was portrayed by Dan Frischman, who also played Arvid Engen in Head of the Class

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

This episode has my heart I have seen it so many times and it completely holds up. Jon Voight's car! Only Costanza would go through those lengths to prove he wasn't duped and that moment of pure elation from he and Kramer before the dreams were dashed made it all worth it. I dug Jerry getting clowned as well as Elaine being a savant of dixieland music. And of course, we get the big debut of Tim Whatley plus a cameo from Arvid. I also fully believe that Mom & Pop scammed the K-Man. Who else holds a hastily organized yard sale on Thanksgiving morning in Parsippany? This isn't quite a pantheon episode, but it has enough for me to push it quite close as it is one of my all time faves and a highlight of the season. I'M GOIN WHERE THE SUN KEEPS SHININ, THROUGH THE POURIN RAIN! Final Grade: 9/10

Comments