Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Money" (S8, E12)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.

960

Best Character

I thought Kramer was great here, killing it with his quick quips and quickly assimilating his way into married life with Emily. I loved him interjecting his way into Jerry's career too, piling on with the Bloomingdale's idea. Shout out to Jack Klompus, who always makes the most of his appearances. His dig about the pen still working was great. He is such a tremendous douchebag.

Best Storyline

I will go with the Costanzas and their money, just because it involves the Costanzas. This was an episode where I thought the individual scenes outweighed any actual storylines. I also enjoyed the Elaine story once Peterman showed back up. The late meeting scene was a good one.

Ethical Dilemma of the Week

If somebody else destroys your car by driving it into a swamp, would you let them get away with it just because they lost their prized pen? Stop being such a punching bag, Jerome, time to lawyer up! I doubt the sale paperwork was formalized at that point anyway.

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

I would fork out a few bucks to watch a Kramer and Emily spin off where they live with the Costanzas. Lots of potential there for sure. Relationship Grade: Jimmy Legs/10

What Worked:

I enjoyed Jerry's mocking "We'll make the most of it" when Helen says the can only stay for a for four days; I like how Jack Klompus is the one that purchased the car; "The Def Jam is a force"; I love Kramer piling on Jerry about giving up comedy; George not being able to deal with Elaine buying him the coffee is classic George; Aunt Baby; The Jimmy Legs; Kramer pissing off Elaine about not being close to a healthy relationship was great; Frank not being able to quantify how old Aunt Baby would have been today because "she never would have made it" always makes me laugh; Kramer saying he likes the sex as much as strawberry pie; Klompus is such a wonderfully subtle piece of shit; the callback to the pen was awesome; Kramer knowing the number of Bally's off the top of his head and then not knowing how to spell Seinfeld; Slappy White; Morty saying he can be at work by 4:25; Peterman returns!; Elaine despising German cars; "Coupla Chinamen"; George's late meeting idea is a great one; Del Boca Vista!; George being angry that Kramer can have a girl over

What Didn't Work

How long was Klompus at the site of the accident that Jerry could get to the airport, fly to Florida and make it across Alligator Alley?; I never really understood how Jerry gets hosed in all of this, why wouldn't Jack be held liable for the damages to he car?

Key Character Debuts

- Emily

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "Jerry, we can only stay four days." - Helen "Well, I'm upset, but we'll make the most of it." - Jerry
- "Well, actually, Jerry, we wanted to talk to you about something." - Helen "Am I finally getting a baby brother?" - Jerry
- "Well, also, Jerry, we read an article in the Sun Sentinel. It says standup comedy is not what it used to be, what with def jam and all." - Helen "Yeah, that def jam is a force." - Kramer "Jerry, you know, I hear wonderful things about Bloomingdales' executive training program." - Helen "Oh my god." - Jerry "Y'know you've given this comedy thing your best shot. Yeah, you had some good observations, but it's over. Now, this Bloomingdale thing, that could be the next wave." - Kramer
- "She treated me to the Arabian mocha java." - George "And you misinterpret this how?" - Jerry
- "Does your father still eat bacon and eggs every day?" - Jerry "Fortunately, yes." - George "How's your family history?" - Jerry "I have an aunt that died at seven." - George "Really?" - Jerry "Aunt Baby." - George
- "Yeah. I gotta be honest with you Kramer. You might be more than just a coupla tweaks away from a healthy relationship." - Elaine "Well you're not exactly zeroing in yourself, lady." - Kramer "Alright, get out." - Elaine
- "What about your side? Your cousin Hennie. She was sickly from the moment I met her!" - Frank "Don't you talk about Hennie!" - Estelle
- "Done. But, I get to drive it tomorrow, because Doris wants to go to Naples. Need a pen? Still works." - Jack
- "Well, what d'you mean, he's not registered? Wha..S, E, I, N, V..." - Kramer "F. F, E, L , D." - Helen "...F, E, L, D." - Kramer
- "Well, I can't stay under my own name. I was registered under Slappy White." - Jerry
- "Well, for one thing, you live in Florida." - Elaine "I'm very comfortable working outta the house. I have a phone, we have a Kinko's nearby. You know, I think that my resume speaks for itself." - Morty
- "Oh, Elaine, this dry air is curing me like a Black Forest ham." - Peterman
- "Besides, I think I lost my pen, too." - Jack "You know, that almost makes this all worthwhile." - Jerry
- "Your father wanted a Mercedes, but I won't ride in a German car." - Elaine
- "A thousand?! I know a coupla Chinamen over there on Forty-third Street, who'll do it for half that." - Morty
- "Look, if we're gonna stay here until all hours of the night, can we at least get some food here?" - Morty "It's only five fifteen." - Peterman
- "They don't nap. They make it their home. They urinate in there!" - Frank

Oddities & Fun Facts

- According to the DVD's inside look, Sandy Baron was almost unable to guest star as Jack Klompus in this episode, due to a coma he went in only days before production. Producers searched to recur another character, but Baron came out of his coma in time.
- Comedienne Sarah Silverman portrays Emily
- Jack Klompus references a pen that still works, a call back to The Pen (S3, E5)

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

As I mentioned before, this was an interesting episode in that the individual scenes and dialogue outweighed the success of any of the storylines that were ongoing. There was also lots of material left on the table as they took multiple story arcs that could have used more time to explore and crammed them into one episode: Jerry dealing with the car, Kramer living with the Costanzas, the Costanzas moving to Florida, Morty working for Peterman... these are all stories that deserved more time to breathe but instead were mashed together, limiting their potential. There were plenty of laughs and some really classic lines ("They urinate in there!") but as a whole, it was less than the sum of its parts. That totals out to a perfectly middling episode of Seinfeld, which as we have said before, is probably a top tier installment of many other sitcoms. Final Grade: 5/10

Comments