Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Opposite" (S5, E22)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.

seinopp

Best Character

Shit, everyone. George probably edges everyone else out for the way he dove into the opposite plan with such conviction, but Kramer spitting coffee on Regis and Kathie Lee, Elaine falling apart and Jerry fulfilling his role as Even Steven all nailed it as well. The Core Four closes out their greatest season on a strong note.

Best Storyline 

The opposite stuff as it pretty much eats up the whole episode. It was a great redemption story for George, the man who has been tortured for five season, and watching him finally reach these levels of success was so entertaining. Plus, Big Stein arrives as a part of it.

Ethical Dilemma of the Week

Even though he was sick, I think it would have been just fine for Lippman to shake the Japanese fellow's hand. Sometimes you gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette and this was one case where you risk getting someone sick to close a mega business deal. Wipe your hand on your coat, press the flesh and seal the deal.

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

Oh, Rachel. The one that got away? Possibly. She has had a hell of a run and is the most consistent significant other to date. Even though Jake had every right to be upset, he is such a pussy about it, it is hard to really get behind him on the issue. Suck it up, bro. Relationship Grade: End of the Road/10

What Worked:

Nice payoff with Elaine finally getting her long await promotion and callback to Jake Jarmell and the coffee table book; I also love how George is finally throwing in the towel after two seasons of pure frustration; The Tuna/Salmon bit is one of my all time favorite lines; The initial discovery of the opposite idea was brilliant and well executed; Kramer going on a book tour was a tremendous idea and Jerry's mention of the puffy shirt made me laugh; Watching George evolve into the Opposite Man was glorious, and him resisting the apartment visit is something very few men could have pulled off; Pretty funny that Jake had to leave a message with the movie theater attendant in the pre-cell phone days; Jake slowly piecing together that Elaine bought candy after learning of his injury was also well developed; The Regis & Kathy Lee scene was top notch, including the random kiss from the K-Man; Kathie Lee yelling about Kramer spitting on her "Kathie Lee Casual" always makes me laugh; Elaines $20 test was great and George finding it was perfect; Kramer reuniting with the Cigar Store Indian is another great callback; George's job interview was amazing; I have enjoyed Rachel's run but Jerry's non plussed reaction to getting dumped kept the story chugging along beautifully; The Even Steven stuff is just such great writing; The scene where George moves out is so tremendous and a great counter to the scene where he moved in; The closing scene is a perfect wrap on the season

What Didn't Work

Who are Jerry's random friends?; The $20 test result was faulty because Jerry already possessed the found $20, he was just unaware of it; Ugh, Tina GTFO; Farewell Rachel, you will be missed; Just shake his hand Lippman, who cares!

Key Character Debuts

- Yankee Stadium
- George Steinbrenner

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "Why did it all turn out like this for me? I had so much promise. I was personable, I was bright. Oh, maybe not academically speaking, but ... I was perceptive. I always know when someone's uncomfortable at a party. It became very clear to me sitting out there today, that every decision I've ever made, in my entire life, has been wrong. My life is the opposite of everything I want it to be. Every instinct I have, in every of life, be it something to wear, something to eat ... It's all been wrong." - George
- "You know chicken salad is not the opposite of tuna, salmon is the opposite of tuna, 'cos salmon swim against the current, and the tuna swim with it." - Jerry "Good for the tuna." - George
- "Elaine, bald men, with no jobs, and no money, who live with their parents, don't approach strange women." - George "Well here's your chance to try the opposite. Instead of tuna salad and being intimidated by women, chicken salad and going right up to them." - Jerry "Yeah, I should do the opposite, I should." - George "If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right." - Jerry "Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing, and regret it for the rest of the day, so now I will do the opposite, and I will do something!" - George
- "My name is George. I'm unemployed and I live with my parents." - George "I'm Victoria. Hi." - Victoria
- "You know who you are? Even Steven." - Kramer
- "Who are you, George Costanza?" - Victoria "I'm the opposite of every guy you've ever met." - George
- "If you got into a car accident, I can guarantee you I wouldn't stop for Jujyfruit!" - Jake
- "You know, when I'm skiing, Kramer, I'm trying not to kill myself, and you're writing books!" - Regis "Yeah, well, now you kids don't go out and try that. You stay in school!" - Kramer
- "You know you could've thrown a pencil out the window and seen if that came back." - Jerry
- "Yes. And listen to this, listen to this; her uncle works for the Yankees and he's gonna get me a job interview. A front office kind of thing. Assistant to the travelling secretary. A job with the New York Yankees! This has been the dream of my life ever since I was a child, and it's all happening because I'm completely ignoring every urge towards common sense and good judgment I've ever had. This is no longer just some crazy notion. Jerry, this is my religion." - George "So I guess your Messiah would be the Anti-Christ." - Jerry
- "Wow, that's quite a honk! Get yourself some vitamin C with rose hips and bioflavenoids." - Kramer
- "Well, I wish I could say the same, but I must say, with all due respect, I find it very hard to see the logic behind some of the moves you have made with this fine organization. In the past twenty years you have caused myself, and the city of New York, a good deal of distress, as we have watched you take our beloved Yankees and reduced them to a laughing stock, all for the glorification of your massive ego!" - George "Hire this man!" - Steinbrenner
- "I'll tell you what the big advantage of homosexuality is. If you're going out with someone your size, right there you double your wardrobe." - Jerry "I suppose..." - Rachel "Oh, come on, that's a huge feature. When they approach a new recruit, I'm sure that's one of the big selling points." - Jerry
- "Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle ... Costanza?" - Jerry
- "I gotta be out by the end of the month." - Elaine "Well, you could move in with my parents." - George "Was that the ... opposite ... of what you were going to say, or was that just instinct?" - Elaine "Instinct." - George "Stick ... with the opposite." - Elaine
- "Don't get in trouble with the Yankees. You be nice." - Frank
- "Because they're Jujyfruit. I like them. I didn't know it would start a chain reaction that would lead to the end of Pendant Publishing." - Elaine
- "Do you know what's going on here? Can't you see what's happened? I've become George." - Elaine "Don't say that." - Jerry "It's true. I'm George! I'm George!" - Elaine
- "Greetings, people. Greetings. Greetings and salutations. What a beautiful day for a ball game. Let's play two!" - George

Oddities & Fun Facts

- Actor French Stewart plays the movie theater attendant
- George finally moves out of his parents' house
- Elaine is unemployed with the closing of Pendant Publishing, where she has worked for all five seasons

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

Man, what a season and what a finale. This is easily the best season to date with classic after classic being delivered week after week. And we finish on a super high note. This episode had it all, paying off years worth of build within its tightly woven walls. George finally catching breaks and Elaine completely going to shit was a perfect way to mix things up and there is just enough tease at the end, with George's opposite order becoming his new usual, that makes you think it could all quickly unravel again for Costanza. The Even Steven stuff was well done and Kramer's side gig with the coffee table book tour gave use extra laughs along the way. It has been a magnificent season, arguably one of the greatest seasons of sitcom television in history, and while I am sad to see it go, I am excited to see what season six has in store. Perfection. Final Grade: 0/10 (Opposite Scale)

Comments