Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Pez Dispenser" (S3, E14)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.

seinfeld-pez

Best Character

I have to go with Jerry in this one as he was the straw that stirred the drink the whole way through. He busted George up about Noelle, then he destroyed her recital and showed no remorse and he capped it off by doing all he could to avoid hosting an intervention for an old friend. He was quick witted throughout and it honesty felt like Jerry turned on the switch since the last episode because he all of a sudden felt like the Jerry we would grow to love.

Best Storyline

The Pez, hands down. The recital scene is one of my favorites in the show's history as I could completely identify with both Jerry and Elaine. Once that laugh kicks in, it is hard to stop it. The Pez dispenser wrecked George's relationship and saved another man's life, it was the key to the entire episode.

Ethical Dilemma of the Week

Should Elaine have come clean about laughing during the recital? It is a tricky situation because George was really into Noelle and an admission likely ends things outright. Although, perhaps he could have earned points for coming clean, because when she did find out, he was screwed for lying. Elaine has a unique laugh, so there was zero chance George could have a lasting relationship with Noelle and having her never find out who the recital wrecker was.

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

Seeing George so happy with a high class woman was nice to see, but it turned George into a nervous wreck as a result as he was petrified to screw it all up. The hand stuff was funny and the scene where George turned the tables was great, but in typical George fashion, it all came crashing down in a hurry. Relationship Grade: 5/10

What Worked

I enjoyed how Jerry didn't hear any of George's gushing about Noelle; The Pez incident is legendary and still hilarious, Elaine just losing it inappropriately is very relatable and I will never not laugh at Jerry clapping while holding the dispenser; Jerry being key to the intervention is pretty much his worst nightmare; George having no hand is very George; Something clicked with Jerry in this one and he felt completely different, more at ease, more quick witted and believable; Kramer's preemptive breakup idea to swing power was tremendous and George's demands were great; John trying to flirt with Elaine with tissue jammed up his nose was funny; Kramer screwing up the intervention was fully expected; I love that Elaine's laugh was exposed by the polar bear's lame joke; Nice closure with the Pez dispenser saving Richie.

What Didn't Work

Jerry and Elaine are in a different booth at Monk's and it feels weird; The guy angry about the warm soda is a bit off-putting.

Key Character Debuts

N/A

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "No everything is not going good. I'm very uncomfortable. I have no power. I mean, why should she have the upper hand. *Once* in my life I would like the upper hand. I have no hand-- no hand at all. She has the hand; I have *no* hand..." - George
- The quest to gain "hand" is first introduced
- "Want one? Yeah, I just bought it at the Flea Market." - Kramer "Hey, what goes on there, exactly?" - George "You don't know?" - Jerry "No, I-I-I know...I know..." - George "You think they have fleas there, don't you?" - Jerry "No..." - George "Yes you do, Biff. You've never been to a Flea Market, and you think they have fleas there." - Jerry "All right, I think they have fleas there. So what..." - George
- Jerry once again refers to George as Biff
- "Uh, can we cut to the chase?" - George "Cut to the chase?" - Jerry "Yeah..." - George "What're you, "Joe Hollywood"?" - Jerry "A lot of people say it." - George "I would lose that." - Jerry "What's that?" - George "Lose that? That's not a Hollywood expression!" - Jerry "...Yes it is." - George
- "You play a hell of a piano!" - Jerry
- "Richie was never the same..." - Jerry "What about Kramer?" - Elaine "He's the same..." - Jerry
- Kramer first introduces his idea for a cologne called "The Beach"
- "I was so nervous before I called I made up this whole list of things to talk about." - George "What was on the list?" - Jerry "Let's see, How I'm very good at going in reverse in my car, why isn't Postum a more popular drink..." - George "Yeah, Postum is underrated..." - Jerry
- "I'll never do another crossword puzzle with her again. I know it." - George "I like the Jumble You ever do the Jumble?" - Kramer
- "Do you think people are going to pay $80 a bottle to smell like dead fish and sea weed? That's why people take showers when the come home from the beach. It's an objectionable offensive odor." - Steve "So you don't think it's a good idea?" - Kramer
- "Is this the interference?" - Kramer "Intervention!" - Jerry
- "I've got so much hand, I'm coming out of my gloves!" - George
- "I am breaking up with you..." - Noelle "You can't break up with me! I've got hand!" - George "And you're gonna need it!" - Noelle

Oddities & Fun Facts

- Interventions were the new trend in drug rehabilitation
- Kramer was an all-star softball first baseman

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

I have always been a big fan of this episode as the Pez on the knee was such a small thing but it ended up causing so many issues. That whole scene was so absurdly ridiculous it was great, from top to bottom. Kramer's cologne campaign kicks off here too, adding another layer to a historically memorable episode. The intervention stuff was fine and was really just the backdrop for the chaos at the end, which was a good use of it. A really strong effort this time out, with good laugh out loud moments and historically important gags and scenes. Final Grade: 7/10

Comments