Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Postponement" (S7, E2)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.

seinpostpone

Best Character

Everyone was about on the same level here and even though Kramer finished strong I thought Jerry was the best throughout. He had some good one line quips and his casual sarcasm and needling to both George and Elaine was on point. His "poor bastard" line makes me laugh every time.

Best Storyline

I am going to go with Kramer admitting to Jerry he would sandbag him to the police and Jerry getting revenge by selling Kramer out in the end. It was quietly woven throughout the episode and rides to victory on the back of Kramer spilling the caffe latte and the usher sniffing him right out.


Ethical Dilemma of the Week

Should the usher have thrown Kramer out for sneaking in a cup of coffee? Come on, kid. Make him trash it and let him watch the shitty movie. That seems like a harsh penalty for a soft crime. The guy pretty much made the stuff trendy!

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

Mrs. Elaine Ramsey. Shortly after the wedding, the Ramseys would travel Europe for their honeymoon before settling into a brand new house in Westchester. He would move medical practice there and Elaine would quit her new gig with J. Peterman to be a stay at home mom. They grow old together and think wistfully back to their days in the elevator eating low calorie cookies with the rabbi. What could have been. Relationship Grade: Snackwells/10

What Worked:

Kramer's parallel parking troubles in the opening scene always crack me up; George's stall door system is a winner; George trying to turn his neck for Jerry is tremendous; Kramer telling Jerry he would sell him out if he committed murder; The callback to "Plan 9" is tremendous; George's postponement plan backfiring horrendously and then not even ending in make-up sex; Jerry's "Poor bastard" line; Rabbi immediately telling Jerry everything Elaine told him unsolicited and also telling everyone in the building about it; Susan always asking George "How was your day" is an awesome callback to last episode when Kramer predicted that would happen; George altering his plan and breaking down into tears; Kramer getting burned is a laugh out loud moment and Jerry ratting him out as payback was awesome; Also the usher's "caffe latte" line was delivered tremendously; Kramer revealing that he is suing over the spilled coffee is a nice tease; The final scene with the rabbi on TV was a nice way to tie it all up, especially the prostitute line

What Didn't Work

There is so little drinking on this show that Laney chugging knock off Budweisers seems really out of place; Elaine worked in publishing, she should know it's "couldn't care less" not "could"; I have always thought the rabbi was a bit too over the top; It feels weird that Elaine hasn't seen George since the proposal unless these episodes happened really closely together; What the fuck does Susan wear to bed?

Key Character Debuts

- Rabbi Kirschbaum

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "It can never be erased. It'll follow us wherever we go for the rest of our lives. I'll never be able to get a job. I mean, doesn't that concern you? Everything I've worked for...down the drain because of one stupid mistake. I mean, aren't we entitled to make one mistake in our lives, Jerry?" - Elaine "We're gonna change the system!" - Jerry "Yes!" - Kramer "Well, I could care less. I hope it is on our record. I'm just sorry they didn't lock me up." - Elaine
- "Extend the doors on the toilet stalls at Yankee Stadium to the floor ...door comes down. Hides your feet. Yes. I like it. I like it a lot." - Jerry
- "Well, I don't see how I'm gonna make December. I mean, I need a little more time. I mean, look at me I'm a nervous wreck. My stomach aches. My neck is killing me. I can't turn. Look. Look." - George "You're turning." - Jerry "Nah, it's not a good turn." - George
- "Huh? You know? Spring. Rejuvenation. Rebirth. Everything's blooming. All that crap." - George
- "Especially her. She does not like disappointment. Well, I have to do it. I can't make December. There's no way I can make December. Right? I mean, you can see that, right? I mean, look at me. Look. Look. Can I make December? I can't make December. Right? Look. Look." - George "Yeah, you'd better shoot for March." - Jerry
- "You are a good friend. You know what? Even if you killed somebody I wouldn't turn you in." - George "Is that so? Hey, Kramer if I killed somebody would you turn me in?" - Jerry "Definitely." - Kramer "You're kidding?" - Jerry "No, no, I would turn you in." - Kramer "You would turn me in?" - Jerry "Phwap, I wouldn't even think about it." - Kramer "I can't believe your a friend of mine." - Jerry "What kind of person are you going around killing people?" - Kramer "Well, I am sure I had a good reason." - Jerry "Well...if you'll kill this person, who's to say I wouldn't be next?" - Kramer "But you know me!" - Jerry "I thought I DID!" - Kramer
- "In your situation the only sex you're going to have better than make-up sex is if you're dent to prison and you have a conjugal visit." - Jerry "Yeah, conjugal visit sex. That is happening!" - George
- "Well it seems the engagement of her ffriend George has left her feeling bitter and hostile." - Rabbi "Is that so?" - Jerry "Yes, in fact she told me that she wishes she was the one getting married." - Rabbi "Really?" - Jerry "She came off as pretty desperate." - Rabbi "I didn't know any of this." - Jerry "Apparently she doesn't think much of this George fellow either. I recall the word loser peppered throughout her conversation." - Rabbi
- "Whatya got? One of those Cafe Lattes in your shirt?" - Usher "I don't have anything. Ask him." - Kramer "All right, come on Coffee Boy, bring it out." - Usher
- "Hey, listen, if you ever get a date, maybe the four of us could go out together sometime." - George "Yes! Yes, yes. Sure." - Elaine
- "A young lady I know, let's call her Elaine:, happened to find herself overwhelmed with feelings of resentment and hostility for her friend, let's call him George:. She felt that George was somewhat of a loser and that she was the one who deserved to be married first. She also happened to mention to me that her friend had wondered if going to a prostitute while you're engaged is considered cheating. His feeling was they're never going to see each other again so what's the difference. But that is a subject for another sermon. Now, I'd like to close with a psalm."

Oddities & Fun Facts

- Jerry and Kramer head to see Plan Nine from Outer Space and Jerry references wanting to see the movie years ago, which occurred in The Chinese Restaurant (S2, E6)
- Kramer suing over the spilled hot coffee was a reference to an actual lawsuit involving McDonald's in 1994

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

Honestly this is one of my least favorite episodes in a long, long time. There were a couple of laugh out loud moments, mainly around Kramer's physical comedy. The idea of the rabbi was funny but he himself was annoying. It was also kind of weird to have an episode of Seinfeld that was basically just developing plot points for later and not having much of a story itself. The end was the strongest part and sets up some fun stuff but overall this was a rare swing and miss. Final Grade: 4/10

Comments