Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Race" (S6, E10)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.

seinrace

Best Character

I am going with the Original Three in a giant tie here. Jerry was on point throughout, really selling his legend and making us understand why he wouldn't run. George was aces in both his attempts to find love and his assistance in continuing to keep Jerry's legend alive. And Kramer! The disgruntled, red department store Santa was great too. Tremendous output from all three here.

Best Storyline

I loved the Communist stuff but the Race destroys all. They built up a legendary flushed out story that you bought into hard within such a short time frame and it was amazing. The scene at Monk's with George running into Duncan & Jerry was an all timer and the final race was Seinfeld at its best tying everything together in one big shot.

Ethical Dilemma of the Week

Can Duncan really fire Lois if Jerry refuses to run? Probably not without some other justifiable cause. Jerry should have advised Lois to get canned and then filed a lawsuit and put Duncan on the street. Finish him for good.

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

I like Ned. I don't care what his beliefs are, he seems like a nice guy that sticks to his guns and helps spread the word wherever he can. We Want More Ned! Relationship Grade: Ability/Means

What Worked:

Jerry dating a Lois is awesome; Duncan Meyer is also a great heel; The Ned is very well red line is one of my all time favorites; Also, Elaine dating a Communist is pretty funny, as is George hitting up the personal ads of the commie rag; The race story still kills it; Mr. Bevilacqua; The tart cider line made me chuckle; Elaine straight out asking Ned about being a Communist was perfect; Kramer and Mickey's Christmas gig and the ensuing chaos as we get some good physical K-Man humor in addition to speaking gibberish; I love George toasting Elaine's glass and spilling it everywhere; Mickey attacking Ned after he insults the store was tremendous and Ned pushing his commie propaganda within the mall Santa racket is so absurdly great; I love that Duncan can't let go of the Race decades later; George's acting at Monk's and the jabs he and Jerry throw are tremendous and the whole thing is an all time classic scene; Ned's ties to Hop Sing's and the eventual payoff was really well done too; The Coleman's manager telling Santa to "get your skinny ass outta here" in front of all the kids; Nice payoff to George being a commie; The Big Race is about as perfect a complete Seinfeld scene as you will find and I love how they dug up Mr. Bevilacqua to officiate; The final scene is funny too with the Cuban commandant mirroring Big Stein

What Didn't Work

The Hop Sing's delivery man had quite the short fuse; Why would George give his work number out when shopping the commie personal ads?; What is Ada's problem? George gave her a hot ride and a raise and she dimes him out to Steinbrenner? Get outta here!; Why doesn't Ned just go pick up the food? Lazy Communist

Key Character Debuts

Lois
Duncan Meyer

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "Would you be able to come all the way downtown again in rush hour to pick me up?"- Lois "Well, I'd have to be Superman to do that Lois." - Jerry
- "You really like to say my name? Don't you?" - Lois "Excuse me Lois. Stand back Lois. Jimmy's in trouble Lois." - Jerry
- "Your boyfriend reads the Daily Worker? What is he? A communist?" - George "He reads everything, you know, Ned's very well read." - Elaine "Maybe he's just very well RED?" - George "Communist? Don't you think he probably would have told me?" - Elaine "Well, does he wear bland, drab, olive colored clothing?" - George "Yes, yes he does dress a little drab." - Elaine
- "I never did. In four years of high school I would never race anyone again. Not even to the end of the block to catch a bus. And so the legend grew. Everyone wanted me to race. They begged me. The track coach called my parents. Pleading. Telling them it was a sin to waste my god given talent. But I answered him in the same way I answered everyone. I chose not to run." - Jerry
- "So you WERE the fastest kid in school." - Lois "Faster than a speeding bullet Lois." - Jerry
- "Wow, gee, man it must be a bummer for you guys what with the fall of the soviet empire and everything." - Elaine "Yeah, well, we still got China, and Cuba..." - Ned "Yeah, but come on..." - Elaine "I know it's not the same." - Ned "Well, you had a good run, what was it 75, 80 years? Wreaking havoc, making everybody nervous." - Elaine "Yeah, we had a good run." - Ned
- "I couldn’t tell her the truth. I don't know what's going to happen between us. What if we have a bad breakup. She'll go straight to Duncan. And I want him to go to his grave never being certain I got that head start." - Jerry
- "The Daily Worker has personal ads?" - Jerry "And they say appearance is not important." - George "Yours or hers?" - Jerry
- "On Prancer on Dasher, on Donna." - Kramer "Not Donna, it's Donner." - Mickey "Donna!" - Kramer "Yeah, right!. On Prancer, on Dancer, on Donna, on Ethyl, on Harriet." - Mickey
- "Hey, Mickey when do we get a break? My lap is killing me." - Kramer "There is no break." - Mickey "this is like a sweatshop." - Kramer
- "Anyone who works here is a sap." - Ned "Watch it!" - Mickey "Woah, woah, come on." - Kramer Ned: You understand the Santas at Bloomfields are making double what you are?" - Ned "Double?" - Kramer "I bet the beard itches doesn't it?" - Ned "You got that straight." - Kramer "So when you get a rash all over your face in January do you think Coleman's will be there with a medical plan?" - Ned "Look, you take that commie crap out into the street." - Mickey "Kramer, I've got some literature in my car that will change your whole way of thinking." - Ned "Talk to me baby." - Kramer
- " Oh, wait a minute, wait a minute, don't tell me, don't tell me. It starts with a...Duncan" - George
- "So what do you do, a lot of that "did you ever notice?" this kind of stuff." - George "Yeah, yeah..." - Jerry "It strikes me a lot of guys are doing that kind of humor now." - George "Yeah, yeah, Well, you really got bald there, didn't you?" - Jerry
- "Well, one cannot help, but wonder what brings you into a crummy little coffee shop like this." - Jerry "Well, I like to stay in touch with the people." - George "Ah, you know you have a hole in your sneaker there. What is that canvas?" - Jerry "You know my driver's waiting, I really should get running." - Jerry
- "And he's calling all these people from High School to come and watch. I knew this day would come. I can't do it. I can't go through with it. I'm calling it off. I can't let the legend die. It's like a kid finding out there's no Santa Claus." - Jerry
- "Each according to his ability, to each according to his needs." - Kramer "What does that mean?" - Mickey "Well, if you've got needs and abilities that's a pretty good combination." - Kramer
- "Fine, you want to be a Communist, be a Communist. Can't you at least look like a successful Communist?" - Elaine
- "Ho ho ho ho A racing car set! Those are assembled in Tai Wan by kids like you. And these Coleman pigs, they sell it at triple the cost." - Kramer "But I want a racing car set." - Kid "You see kid, you're being bamboozaled. These capitalist fat cats are inflating the profit margin and reducing your total number of toys." - Kramer "Hey, this guy's a COMMIE!" - Kid
- "Communism, You didn't realize Communism was a sensitive issue? What do you think has been going on in the world for the past 60 years? Wake up and smell the coffee." - Mickey

Oddities & Fun Facts

- Mickey has two kids in college

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

I am shocked it took Jerry this long to work in a Superman theme but once he finally did, it really delivered. This is one of all time favorite episodes that clicks immediately and cruises through the end at warp speed. Every scene ties into the overall story and the writing was really clever throughout. The Communist stuff could have been throwaway or hokey but it was executed so absurdly with the mall Santas and the blacklisting that it popped well. The Race is amazing across the board, right down to the Superman theme over the final showdown and Jerry's embrace of Lois and wink to close it out. Tremendous stuff and a Hall of Famer in my eyes. Final Grade: 10/10

Comments