Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Slicer" (S9, E7)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.



Best Character

I thought everyone was really locked in during this episode, but Kramer was really on fire all throughout this one. His quick hit lines, physical comedy and overall presence was just next level. The stock room stuff gets me every time and that was just the tip of the iceberg. He was a true force of nature the whole way through, right down to telling Jerry that he underlined the best parts of the medical book.

Best Storyline

All of it? I mean, it was all so beautifully intertwined, I don't know how to separate it. I am cheating this time around and I don't care. All of it.

Ethical Dilemma of the Week

I can't decide if Jerry is right or wrong about the dermatologist stuff. So I feel the ethical pain here. But, Jerry is a dick so he is probably wrong. Sigh.

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

Dr. Siterides needs to simmer the fuck down. Good on Jerry for trying to take her down a peg. She can save lives and not be a dick at the same time. Relationship Grade: Pimple Popper/M.D.

What Worked:

The cold open was cool, well done and felt like something they had to do at some point; Kruger!; The way George gets hired is pretty funny; Kramer destroying Jerry's sandwich to prove his point always makes me laugh, as does him saying "our meat problems are solved"; I love Kramer's blank stare when Jerry mentions the stock room; Kramer actually has some good ideas in this episode; "But, where does the meat go" breaks me each and every time; The photo store guy drawing "Peanuts" Kruger back in was a good chuckle; I love the callback of Jerry and George discussing career options, really well done; Elaine taunting Kramer with the thought of clowns was deliciously dirty pool; Kramer asking Jerry if he wore a fake beard stacked with him commenting he couldn't find the stock room is an amazing 1-2 punch; Elaine dancing was a nice touch; Kramer examining Kruger was tremendous; Kramer not piecing together that he gave Jerry the rash was classic

What Didn't Work

I hate Dr. Siterides; How does Jerry identify his rash in the book so quickly?; Who likes olive loaf?

Key Character Debuts

- Mr. Kruger

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "It says here that you worked at Play Now for four days?" - Krueger "That should be 14, let me just..." - George
- "It is a horrible company. There's no management what so ever. I could go hog wild in there." - George
- "Yeah well, that's easy. Just let me finish this mile high and I'll be right with you. Oh, and Jerry, we are gonna need a case of Kaiser rolls." - Kramer "I think we might have one left in the stock room." - Jerry
- "Where did you get that butcher's coat?" - Jerry "You buy enough meat, they'll give you anything." - Kramer
- "Revenge date? That sound like you more than me." - Jerry "This good be so sweet, Jerry. Saving lives? She's one step away working at the clinique counter!" - George
- "Oh, I've cut slices so thin, I couldn't even see them." - Kramer "How did you know you cut it?" - Elaine "Well, I guess I just assumed." - Kramer
- "What about your sea sickness?" - Jerry "Maybe I could be a land guy." - George "I don't know if they have land guys." - Jerry "Someone's have to unhook the boat before it leaves... the place!" - Jerry
- "Boy, that looks like an allergic reaction. Have you been wearing a fake beard?" - Kramer
- "Alright, great, because I got to get down there and pick up my blade. Hey, and I couldn't find that stock room." - Kramer
- "Moles, yes. Freckle's ugly cousin." - Kramer
- "That's my hand towel! I use that on my face, hands and chest! That's where the hives are coming from! It's not from Dr. Sitarides, it's from Dr. Van Nostrand!" - Jerry

Oddities & Fun Facts

- Actress Marcia Cross played Sara Siterides

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

I love this episode. Everything was crisp and on point and it was vintage in its ability to tie together all of the stories into one seamless overarching tale. The core four were tightened up here and sharp but Kramer went next level, slaying every scene he was in. There are so many classic quotes from him, I couldn't even keep up. The delivery and timing sparkled all through this one. I won't call it an elite pantheon episode, because it is missing that truly iconic scene or moment to push it over the top, but it is right on the borderline and proof that the gang could still deliver when given a cohesive, locked in script to execute. Final Grade: 9/10

Comments