Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Soul Mate" (S8, E2)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.

60534262

Best Character

Everyone was pretty much on the same level here but I will go with George. I enjoyed his big scene at the end when he called everyone out and played the tape and his model diorama was pretty funny. Honorable mention to Newman and Kramer for the bookstore scene too.

Best Storyline

Again, none really stood out here so I will stick with George as his story gave me the most chuckles. Elaine's stuff fell flat and outside of the scene in the bookstore I didn't really dig too much of the Pam saga.

Ethical Dilemma of the Week

If you are in love with your best friend's current paramour, should you try to steal her away or confront him and confess? Kramer did both and seemingly pulled off the coup. I absolve him for it too because he knows Jerry will never stick with one chick anyway.

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

Pam is cute but not worth all the gaga. Relationship Grade: Velvet Scrunchies/Tortoise Shell Clips

What Worked:

Jerry telling George he was gnawing at his nails like a mental patient; George mumbling the name of the poet; Jerry asking George if he killed Susan; Funny callback with ugly baby Adam; Newman as the sage was funny, especially as he wistfully discussed his one true love; Elaine telling Kramer to come look at her new friend; George and Jerry waiting for the tape to rewind and the tape featuring a discussion on George's fingernails; Kramer pulling George into the hallway and then him still sitting there when Kramer storms out; The scene in the bookstore is great, especially with Newman's junk mail rant; Newman double-crossing Kramer for a shot at Elaine; Elaine referencing her old hairstyle; George's diorama and Jerry saying that the M&M should be George; Kramer busting through the door as soon as Pam mentions her feelings for him; George calling out the board room members; The last scene with George using the Newman poem and then Wyck asking if they all agree George killed Susan was a good way to wrap things up

What Didn't Work

Elaine's friends are the fucking worst; Kevin is a loser, he may as well have gotten an estrogen injection while he was at it; Elaine's short hair...noooooooo!

Key Character Debuts

- Pam
- Kevin

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "Jerry, a throat-clear is a non-verbal implication of doubt - he thinks I killed Susan!" - George "Oh, help me, Rhonda." - Jerry
- "Well, she's Jerry's girlfriend." - Kramer "Ah, yes. Forbidden love." - Newman "She works in a book shop. Her name is Pam." - Kramer "Pam. I don't know the woman, but she sounds quite fetching." - Newman
- "She has delicate beauty." - Kramer "Jerry wouldn't know delicate beauty if it bludgeoned him over the head." - Newman
- "It's the life force. I saw a show on the mollusk last night. Elaine, the mollusk travels from Alaska to Chile just for a shot at another mollusk. You think you're any better?" - Jerry "Yes! I think I am better than the mollusk!" - Elaine
- "Oh, she's uh...she's real. She can bring home the bacon and fry it in the pan." - Kramer
- "She's got really nice hair." - Jerry "Oh, it's incredible. Although, I might replace her tortoise clip with one of those velvet scrunchies. I love those." - Kramer "You've got really specific tastes." - Jerry
- " Don't despair, my friend. I won't allow your love to go unrequited. Not like mine." - Newman "What, again with you?" - Kramer "Sorry. But love is spice with many tastes. A dizzying array of textures...and moments." - Newman
- "Elaine, a guy'll say anything to get a woman." - Jerry "Oh, please. He wouldn't say that." - Elaine "Elaine, I once told a woman that I coined the phrase, "Pardon my French."" - George "I once told a woman that I don't eat cake 'cause it goes right to my thighs." - Jerry "I once told a woman that I really enjoy spending time with my family." - George
- "Her bouquet cleaved his hardened..." - Kramer "Shell." - Newman "...shell. And fondled his muscled heart. He embibed her glistening spell...just before the other shoe...fell." - Kramer "Kramer, that is so lovely." - Pam "It's by an unknown 20th-century poet." - Kramer "Oh, what's his name?" - Pam "Newman." - Kramer
- "Oh, yeah. Like last summer. I'm watchin' TV and I saw one of those jet-skis. $4000 later and it's sitting in my garage." - Kevin
- "I'm gonna keep on investigating. This thing is like an onion. The more layers you peel, the more it stinks." - George
- "There are some people in this room who would have been very happy to never see this briefcase again. There are people in this room who think they can destroy other people's property and get away with it. Well, let me tell you something about those people. They weren't counting on this brain! And this tape recorder." - George "George..." - Wyck "You'll have your turn! The truth must be heard. That's all there was. And yet, it speaks volumes. A low rumple. A metallic 'squink.' A 'glonk.' Someone crying out..."Dear God!" Let's start with, uh...with you, Wyck." - George "George, Quinn here was moving a chair...he lost his balance and dropped it...it must have fallen on your briefcase, which, for some reason, contained a running tape recorder?" - Wyck "Alright, then. We've gotten to the bottom of that." - George

Oddities & Fun Facts

- Elaine and Carol discuss Ugly Baby Adam, last scene in The Hamptons (S5, E20)

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

Another fine episode here but nothing to really get overexcited about. There were a few genuine laughs throughout but they really seemed to fully get in sync as it chugged along. The Pam stuff felt totally unresolved too. I did like all the George murdering Susan suspicion and the final scene was a nice payoff. I am ready to move into some fresh stuff with George now. Newman was great as always but I thought this was a rare Elaine misfire and Kevin is a whim douche. Hopefully things pick up soon. Final Grade: 6/10

Comments