Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Soup" (S6, E7)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.

OsAxZd1

Best Character

Jerry and Kenny. All day. Jerry was on point and I really think this may be one of his best performances to date. He was sharp, witty and alternated between being tortured and then zinging both Elaine and George whenever possible. And Bania? What a debut. The pest, while kind of right, just tortured Jerry over that damn suit. Calling to ask about cashing in on the dinner was a real baller move.

Best Storyline

Easily, Bania's suit. It was a brilliantly unique storyline that was both relatable and absurd at the same time. Bania was so brazen and you could argue both were completely in the right. The main question is whether or not Bania is aware of how fucking crazy he is.

Ethical Dilemma of the Week

I feel like Hildy should have brought her own food over to Kramer's house. I mean, she clearly visited multiple times. She knows he doesn't have a fridge. If you are a dominant eater that needs to graze constantly, be prepared. Poor K-Man is just trying to be healthy.

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

Kelly was next level. George never stood a chance. She was a pro and he was a novice, a lamb led straight to slaughter. Relationship Grade: Horseshit/10

What Worked:

Kelly may be the best flirter we have seen so far; I enjoy George not knowing Elaine was in England; Kenny. Bania.; Those Monk's sandwiches looked damn tasty; Jerry's "she's not putting them on the glass" line was fantastic; I love that Bania refers to himself as KB; Bania's everything when he delivers the suit is top notch; Kelly is a fucking pro, working in the boyfriend line like a champ; Jerry dissecting George's date foibles was a good scene; Mendy's!; Kenny calling Jerry to ask about the dinner is so great, as is their first dinner date and Bania's soup ordering; Jerry getting the salmon to avoid ever agreeing with Bania in any way; Jerry and Elaine breaking down the meal is what Seinfeld is all about; George and Jerry sliding in the booth to block Bania; Jerry's growing frustration in his war with Bania was well executed on the phone; Hildy is a brilliantly casted hoss; The callback to the big salad is awesome; The scene in Reggie's is so relatable, the torture you suffer outside of your favorite restaurant; George instantly picking up the phone when Kramer gives him the idea of how to get Kelly fired

What Didn't Work

Simon is a prick, a very unlikeable limey prick

Key Character Debuts

Kenny Bania

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "Great. I've been working out. Went from a size 40, to a 42." - Kenny "No kidding." - Jerry "Yeah, I’m huge." - Kenny
- "Well, go in there and talk to her. She's not going to put them on glass." - Jerry
- "Well after that Kidney Stone I only want fresh food. It's gotta be fresh. I’m not eating any more stored food. Plus you know I want the space." - Kramer "Well, what for?" - Jerry "Well I could put a, dresser in there. I could get dressed while I’m making breakfast." - Kramer
- "Yeah, that's a deal. That's a horrible deal. I don't want to go out to dinner with him. I’d rather make my own suit." - Jerry
- "I love the day date. No wine, No shower." - Jerry
- "Oh. It's just horse manure. Horse manure's not that bad. I don't even mind the word “manure.” You know, it's, it's “nure,” which is good. and a “ma” in front of it. MA-NURE. When you consider the other choices, “manure” is actually pretty refreshing." - George
- "You know there is always the possibility, that she called an audible." - Jerry "What do you mean?" - George "Well she got up to the line of scrimmage, didn’t like the looks of the defense and changed the play." - Jerry
- "Ahh, no, no, no. You got me all wrong buddy. I am loving this no refrigerator. You know what I discovered? I really like depriving myself of things. It's fun. Very monastic." - Kramer "Well what do you eat?" - George "It's all fresh. Fresh fish, fresh foul, fresh fruit. I buy it, I omniga nominga, I eat it." - Kramer
- "You know, I was thinking if you're not busy, maybe I could get my meal today?" - Kenny
- "You work out with weights?" - Kenny "No I don't." - Jerry "You should." - Kenny "Why?" - Bania
- "Well, that's not really a meal Jerry. I mean if he had gotten Chicken Gumbo, or Matzah Ball, or Mushroom Barley. Then I would agree with you. Those are very hardy soups." - Elaine
- "You worn the suit yet?" - Kenny "Actually, I did. I put it on last night and slept in it." - Jerry
- "Hello? No, I’m sorry Bania ... I’m not going over this again. Well who told you to order soup? ... No! There's no dinner. There's not going to be any dinner. You've had a sandwich and 2 bowls of soup and that's it. Good-bye." - Jerry
- "It's not for me. It's for Hildy -- the waitress I was telling you about. She's hungry, she wants food. If I go back in there without any food ... there's gonna be trouble." - Kramer
- "There's no “Big Salad.”" - Elaine "They'll make you a “Big Salad.” What do you think, they're the only one's that make a “Big Salad”?" - George
- "So what! Have a yoke. It won't kill you." - George
- "HEY! Yeah. I got a message for you. You tell your friend George, that the next time I see him around here, I’m going to turn him into my Own, Personal, Hand-Puppet." - Manager

Oddities & Fun Facts

- Reggie's diner is the same set as the diner Jerry and Elaine visited in "The Bubble Boy" (S4, E7)

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

This episode has always held a special place in my heart. I first discovered Seinfeld late in season six and immediately began taping the episodes. This is one of the first I recorded during the summer reruns and thus was in a prominent slot on "Seinfeld 1". So I have seen it many, many times. Objectively, it certainly is missing a little something to kick up to a top box grade. It was really good though and the dance between Kenny and Jerry was phenomenal. It was clear that Bania needed to be a recurring visitor to our fantastic world. The other stories were good enough even though nothing really popped. But they all just existed as window dressing for the deadlifting, suit gifting, meal grifting son of a bitch Kenny Bania. What a guy. Final Grade: 7/10

Comments