Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Switch" (S6, E11)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.

seinswitch

Best Character

George is my choice this time around. He had lots of irons in the fire, with his bursting into the women's room and helping Jerry plot the switch and discovering Kramer's name, it all clicked. And his absolute peak was freaking out when he found out the results of Jerry's experiment. IT'S LIKE DISCOVERING PLUTONIUM... BY ACCIDENT!

Best Storyline

The roommate switch. The plotting scenes were so good and the music was the cherry on top. I also love how it all played out. If only Jerry wasn't so soft and just banged the two chicks and called it a day.

Ethical Dilemma of the Week

Does having one threesome make you an orgy guy? Jerome's insight on this one is weird. He isn't filming a gang bang. It is a romantic evening with two lovely ladies that both happen to want to screw him. How do you turn that down Jerry? You are single, live a little!

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

HE TURNED DOWN A THREESOME. Relationship Grade: Lame/10

What Worked:

I love Elaine's dig about not getting the job when talking to Landis; Jerry mentioning Newman's tennis skills are a great random throwaway line; Kramer plants the seeds to destroy yet another George relationship; Having Jerry date a non-laugher is a funny angle; I love that George is more concerned about his meals being wasted than his girlfriend being bulimic; Kramer's reaction when revealing Babs' occupation is fantastic; Just take the racket Laney!; The Cosmo reveal is so awesome and random and George's reaction is amazing; The follow up scene in the apartment where George spills the beans and Kramer walks in followed by the gang exploding and George doing a spit take is top notch; Laura is way hotter than Sandy, I can't blame Jerry for trying the switch; All of the switch planning scenes are some of my all time favorites, including the long explanation of the plan and especially the caper saxophone music in the background; I love when they come back from commercial and they have ordered a pizza and Jerry just starts into the "menage-a-tois" line; The twist with Sandy being into the threesome was great; Kramer & Babs strutting down the street; Newman seducing Babs with the sax music blaring over it; George flipping out about the threesome was tremendous; The throwaway line about Newman vacationing in Baltimore made me chuckle; The final scene was a great close

What Didn't Work

Ms. Landis sucks; I hate the way Nina says "George"; Why would a model date George?; Ms. Landis' assistant is a jackass as well, that whole office sucks; It was kind of shitty for Babs to quit her job the day of the big sting; Jerry has no reason to pass on the threesome except for just being an overthinking pussy

Key Character Debuts

Babs Kramer

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "Oh, Bruline. Newman's got the same one." - Jerry "Newman plays tennis?" - Elaine "He's fantastic." - Jerry
- "George, you're becoming one of the gliterratti." - Kramer "What's that." - George "Ya' know, people who glitter. She's a slim gal." - Kramer
- "Yes, full. I love to be full ... love to sit back, loosen the old belt and digest away for hours. Let those enzymes do their work." - George
- "Elaine, of course I'm concerned. I'm payin' for those meals. It's like throwing money down the toilet." - George "In a manner of speaking." - Jerry "Let me digest it. Let me get my money's worth. Y'know what would be good is if there was someone else in the bathroom that could tell me." - George
- "Let me go. let me go. Because I haven't talked to my mother in five years. We just don't see eye to eye. I don't even want to get into my childhood. I'm still carrying a lot of pain. A LOT of pain." - Kramer
- We finally discover Kramer's first name: Cosmo
- "He's got a big match tomorrow with Ethyl Kennedy." - Elaine "He needs a three hundred-dollar Bruline to beat Ethyl Kennedy?" - Jerry
- "Well you know all my life I've been running away from that name. That's why I wouldn't tell anybody. But I've been thinking about it. All this time I'm trying not to be me. I'm afraid to face who I was. But I'm Cosmo Jerry. I'm Cosmo Kramer. And that's who I'm going to be. From now on that's who I'm going to be. I'm Cosmo!" - Kramer
- "Well, if I hear you correctly--and I think that I do--my advice to you is to finish your meal, pay your check, leave here, and never mention this to anyone again." - George
- "Do you realize in the entire history of western civilization no one has successfully accomplished the Roommate Switch? In the Middle Ages you could get locked up for even suggesting it!" - George "They didn't have roommates in the Middle Ages." - Jerry "Well, I'm sure at some point between the years 800 and 1200 --somewhere -- there were two women living together." - George
- "It's a perfect plan. So inspired. So devious. Yet so simple." - George
- "Oh, it's a scene man." - Jerry "Do you ever just get down on your knees and thank god that you know me and have access to my dementia?" - George "What are you talking about? I'm not goin' to do it." - Jerry "You're not goin to do it? What do you mean, You're not going to do it?" - George "I can't. I'm not an orgy guy." - Jerry "Are you crazy? This is like discovering Plutonium ... by accident." - George "Don't you know what it means to become an orgy guy? It changes everything. I'd have to dress different. I'd have to act different. I'd have to grow a mustache and get all kinds of robes and lotions and I'd need a new bedspread and new curtains I'd have to get thick carpeting and weirdo lighting. I'd have to get new friends. I'd have to get orgy friends... Naw, I'm not ready for it." - Jerry "If only something like that could happen to me." - George "Oh, shut up you couldn't do it either." - Jerry "I know." - George

Oddities & Fun Facts

- Newman is great at tennis
- Jerry makes another Superman reference
- Larry David provides one of the voices that says hello to Cosmo & Babs

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

Our hot streak continues with another really fun episode. The big Cosmo reveal was earth shattering at the time and the scene still holds up today. All of the switch stuff was very good too. Elaine's story was a bit soft, but we do get the visual of Mr. Pitt playing tennis with Ethyl Kennedy out of it. George was a force of nature here and despite the big time storyline with Cosmo, he just about carried this one on his back. I think it is a couple of steps back from the race but still holds up very well. Final Grade: 8/10

Comments