Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Voice" (S9, E2)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.



Best Character

I thought this was a strong episode for everyone but Jerry stood out the most for me. His delivery was sharp throughout and I loved his desperation for his friends to want the voice back over Clare. He kept this episode chugging along across all the storylines, playing a key role in each this time around. Shout out to Darren, too, he was awesome.

Best Storyline

While the Voice gave us the iconic catchphrase, the best storyline was Kramerica Industries. From the moment Kramer got mad about the car dealership stealing his financing idea, it was game on. Darren was tremendous and I loved how they turned Kramer's every day nonsense into a corporate setting. Kramer's scene with the Dean was great too and of course the speech at the window followed by the oil ball toss was beautiful.

Ethical Dilemma of the Week

If you are dating a really hot woman but also love doing a funny voice at her expense should you tell her about the voice for literally no reason? Stop giggling like a dipshit, Jerome. Keep them separated and eat that cake and have it too!

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

JT: Elaine & Puddy forever. And ever. And ever. And ever. That is pretty funny. Relationship Grade: 10/10

What Worked:

George still trying to explain away his handicap as legit is great; The first "Hellooooo" is still tremendous; the Coke machine breakup comparison is a good one; Jerry and Kramer's conversation about the menial tasks is a good one; "Heroin Chic"; Jerry's Cinemax dig is great; Darren the Mother Fucking Intern; KRAMERICA; I love the lunch scheduling fiasco and when Kramer goes to yell at Darren; Darren reading his notes on what Kramer missed; Puddy laughing at the gloves story after banging Elaine; Kramer's meeting with the Dean is amazing, she has tremendous delivery; Jerry at the beach contemplating his decision is a great callback; Jerry using the voice in Spanish; Kramer in the jeans is a sight to behold; Jerry's desperation for anyone to love the voice again is well executed; Kramer's speech at the window; Poor Darren going to jail is a nice payoff to all of the mayhem, as is Clare suing Play Now and costing George his pay

What Didn't Work

Why would Elaine roll the dice and show up at Jerry's before changing?; What hours does the NYU dean keep? Or were Jerry and Clare in bed super early?; Why does George wear his glasses so low on his nose? I just want to push them up; I like the outcomes of the stories but that last scene makes no sense, these guys see each other every day are now just catching up on Play Now going under and Darren going to the clink?

Key Character Debuts

- The Voice
- Clare
- Darren

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "George, you’re not really handicapped, are you?" - Thomassoulo "I’ve had my difficulties." - George "I saw you running down Amsterdam Avenue lifting that 200 pound motorized cart with one hand." - Thomassoulo "Mr. Thomassoulo during times of great stress, people are capable of super human strength. Have you ever seen the Incredible Hulk, sir?" - George "No." - Thomassoulo "How about the old Spider Man live action show?" - George
- "Hello-o-o-o!" - George & Jerry
- "My Puddy? But we broke up." - Elaine "And yet he continues to live." - Jerry
- "Elaine, breaking up is like knocking over a coke machine. You can’t do it in one push, you got to rock it back and forth a few times, and then it goes over." - Jerry "That’s beautiful." - George
- "I went to the movies last night, I went to the bathroom and I unbuckled a little wobbly and the buckle kind of banged against the side of the urinal. So…that’s it!" - Jerry "So, you’re insane?" - Clare "Oh yes, quite." - Jerry "Hello!" - Kramer "Of course it’s a sliding scale." - Jerry
- "Of course it’s a good idea, it’s my idea. I conceived this whole project two years ago." - Kramer "Which part? The renovating the restaurant you don’t own part or spending the two hundred million you don’t have part?" - Jerry "You see I come up with these things, I know they’re gold, but nothing happens. You know why?" - Kramer "No resources, no skill, no talent, no ability, no brains." - Jerry "No, no…time! It’s all this meaningless time. Laundry, grocery, shopping, coming in here talking to you. Do you have any idea how much time I waste in this apartment?" - Kramer "I can ball park it." - Jerry
- "Then what do you call it? People don’t just bump into each other and have sex. This isn’t Cinemax." - Jerry
- "Well, apparently NYU is very enthusiastic about their students getting some real world corporate experience." - Kramer "But you only provide fantasy world corporate experience." - Jerry
- "I am not calling Puddy. What did I do with my gloves? Oh, I bet I left them over at Puddy’s. I should call him. I need those gloves. No, I better not. I’ll call. (looks at table) Oh, look at that! There are the gloves. I was just about to call. There they are. That’s funny. That’s really funny. That’s really really funny. You know who loves funny stories, David Puddy." - Elaine
- "No body said you’re fat. He’s a loving character, like the Kool-Aid guy." - Jerry "He is fat!" - Clare "No, he’s just a little bloated." - Jerry "Good-bye!" - Clare "It’s mostly water weight." - Jerry
- "As far as I can tell your entire enterprise is more than a solitary man with a messy apartment which may or may not contain a chicken." - Dean "And with Darren’s help, we’ll get that chicken." - Kramer
- "I don’t care about the internship. I care about Kramerica." - Darren "Kramerica is no more." - Kramer "What about the oil tanker bladder system? We were going to put an end to maritime oil spills." - Darren "Probably. Darren, you go home. Forget about Kramerica." - Kramer
- "Whew. You know Darren, if you would have told me twenty-five years ago that some day I’d be standing here about to solve the worlds energy problems, I would’ve said you’re crazy… Now let’s push this giant ball of oil out the window." - Kramer

Oddities & Fun Facts

- "The Voice" enters pop culture immediately
- Jerry pondering his decision at the beach is a callback to The Engagement (S7, E1) and The Invitations (S7, E24)

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

This is another one of my all time favorite episodes. It is loaded with classic lines and memorable moments and featured strong performances across the board. George hunkering down in his bunker office taking a stand on a grossly unethical platform was great. I loved the Kramerica stuff and of course the Voice is iconic. Elaine and Puddy weren't given a lot of time but they made their story pop well enough too with their limited scenes. I thought this was a tightly written episode too, with everything seamlessly flowing into each other, bringing it all to a head in the climactic scene at Play Now. I was so happy to see that this one held up after all these years and that confirmed it as a no doubt perfect episode for me. It can be Spanish! Final Grade: 10/10

Comments