Seinfeld: The Series Rewatch - "The Yada Yada" (S8, E19)

JT's comments below originally ran as part of Place to Be Nation's "Seinfeld: The PTBN Series Rewatch" project.

enhanced-buzz-20863-1343852583-14

Best Character

I am going with a tie this week as I thought both Jerry and George were great. Jerry was on fire with his one liners and how indignant he was with Tim Whatley. I also loved how dismissive he was of Arnie when Beth came crying to him. George was a lot of fun too trying to crack the yada, yada code and the two scenes where he stalked Jerry were so well done on a meta level.

Best Storyline

The yada, yada is infamous but I thought the Whatley stuff was the best. The premise was really unique and executed so well, in big part thanks to the genius of Bryan Cranston. The church scene was a lot of fun too and it all tied in to the final scene and paid off so well with Beth, Jerry's dream girl, exposing herself as a wicked racist.

Ethical Dilemma of the Week

Just because your parents are little people, do you have to marry one? No, be your own woman Karen/Julie! If you wanna bang the K-Man, go for it!

Relationship Scale (Scale 1-10)

I think that adoption agent would have treated Elaine like the queen she is. Forget the looks, Elaine, marry for happiness. It worked for Charlotte in Sex in the CityRelationship Grade: Yada/10

What Worked:

I really liked the George and Jerry desert island discussion while pissing; Yada yada; Always great to see The Mick in the house and his "we'll look like idiots" line was great, as is he and Kramer picking up women at The Gap; 100% cotton... and some wool; George stalking Jerry at his dentist appointment is great meta stuff; Tim's Jewish joke gusto is tremendous; I always pop when Jerry trolls telemarketers; Kramer and Mickey not knowing their dates names was funny and their near brawl was really great; Kramer and Mickey fighting over the seats at the restaurant gets me every time, especially when Kramer leans with his elbow on the table; George and Kramer's back to back "I gotta do something" was well executed; Jerry calling the nun "mother" and his whole performance in the confessional; Funny twist having Karen's parents be little people; George popping in the confessional was amazing; Jerry and Kramer's talk about little people was good and that was topped by the anti-dentite stuff; Mickey's dad snubbing Kramer can calling out Jerry was fantastic; Beth slays that final line; Nice payoff at the end with both women ending up with the wrong guy

What Didn't Work

Why does Jerry ask George if he knows Tim Whatley when we saw a whole fiasco about George getting invited to his Thanksgiving Eve party instead of him; Elaine's alcoholic joke about her dad felt a bit too serious; The last line is great but how does Beth not know Jerry is Jewish? She didn't know his last name by this point?

Key Character Debuts

- Marcy

Iconic Moments, Running Themes & Memorable Quotes

- "You know, a friend of mine thought she got Legonare's disease in the hot tub." - Marcy "Really? What happened?" - George "Oh, yada yada yada, just some bad egg salad. I'll be right back." - Marcy
- "No, "yada yada" is good. She's very succinct." - Jerry "She is succinct." - George "Yeah, it's like you're dating USA Today." - Jerry
- "Yada yada yada" becomes an instant pop culture catchphrase
- "I gotta get on that internet. I'm late on everything." - Jerry
- "Tell me about it. We just picked up two women at the Gap." - Kramer
- "I like your shirt." - Karen "Oh, thank you. It's 100% cotton, and some wool." - Mickey
- "I like Merlot." - Mickey "I love Merlot." - Karen "I'm crazy about Merlot." - Julie "I live for Merlot." - Kramer "We're out of Merlot." - Waiter
- "All right, it is cavity time. Ah, here we go. Which reminds me, did you here the one about the rabbi and the farmer's daughter? Huh?" - Tim "Hey." - Jerry "Those aren't mahtzah balls." - Tim
- "Jerry, it's our sense of humor that sustained us as a people for 3000 years." - Tim "5000." - Jerry "5000, even better. Okay, Chrissie. Give me a schtickle of fluoride." - Tim
- "Speaking of exes, my old boyfriend came over late last night, and, yada yada yada, anyway. I'm really tired today." - Marcy
- "Don't you see what Whatley is after? Total joke telling immunity. He's already got the two big religions covered, if he ever gets Polish citizenship there'll be no stopping him." - Jerry
- "Listen to this. Marcy comes up and she tells me her ex-boyfriend was over late last night, and "yada yada yada, I'm really tired today." You don't think she yada yada'd sex." - George "I've yada yada'd sex." - Elaine "Really?" - George "Yeah. I met this lawyer, we went out to dinner, I had the lobster bisque, we went back to my place, yada yada yada, I never heard from him again." - Elaine "But you yada yada'd over the best part." - Jerry "No, I mentioned the bisque." - Elaine
- "Anyway, I wanted to talk to you about Dr. Whatley. I have a suspicion that he's converted to Judaism just for the jokes." - Jerry "And this offends you as a Jewish person." - Father "No, it offends me as a comedian." - Jerry
- "What about all your Jewish jokes?" - Jerry "I'm Jewish, you're not a dentist. You have no idea what my people have been through." - Tim "The Jews?" - Jerry "No, the dentists. You know, we have the highest suicide rate of any profession?" - Tim "Is that why it's so hard to get an appointment?" - Jerry
- "Well, Mickey and her have a lot more in common. you know her parents are little people?" - Kramer "Oh, small world. So little people can have not little people children?" - Jerry "Oh yeah, and vice versa. Mother Nature's a mad scientist, Jerry." - Kramer
- "You think that dentists are so different from me and you? They came to this country just like everybody else, in search of a dream." - Kramer "Kramer, he's just a dentist." - Jerry "Yeah, and you're an anti-dentine." - Kramer "I am not an anti-dentine!" - Jerry "You're a rabid anti-dentite! Oh, it starts with a few jokes and some slurs. "Hey, denty!" Next thing you know you're saying they should have their own schools." - Kramer "They do have their own schools!" - Jerry "Yeah!" - Kramer
- "Hey, where's Marcy?" - Jerry "She, uh, went shopping for some shoes for the wedding and, yada yada yada, I'll see her in six to eight months." - George
- "That's Dr. Abbott, D.D.S. Tim Whatley was one of my students. And if this wasn't my son's wedding day, I'd knock you teeth out you anti-dentite bastard." - Dr. Abbott "What was that all about?" - Beth "Oh, I said something about dentists and it got blown all out of proportion." - Jerry "Hey, what do you call a doctor who fails out of med school?" - Beth "What?" - Jerry "A dentist." - Beth "That's a good one. Dentists." - Jerry "Yeah, who needs 'em? Not to mention the Blacks and the Jews." - Beth

Oddities & Fun Facts

- Debra Messing returns as Beth Lookner, last seen in The Wait Out (S7, E23)
- Legendary actor Robert Wagner plays Dr. Abbott
- Famous actress Jill St. John plays Mrs. Abbott

Overall Grade (Scale 1-10)

This episode held up much better than I anticipated. There were a few things that keep it from really hitting that upper echelon but I laughed out loud a ton watching it through. The yada yada stuff is legendary in Seinfeld lore but I thought the Whatley storyline really brought the heat. It was filled with a fun cameos and paid off with a tremendous punchline. Mickey and Kramer did a solid job in their story as well as they are always a great physical comedy duo but also had some strong dialogue to support it. Plus I am a big mark for the meta stuff with George tracking down Jerry to talk. I wasn't expecting to like this one that much but yada yada it ended up being pretty damn great. Final Grade: 9/10

yada-yada-yada

Comments